Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

I've been a bit busy with my new job, hence the lack of updates. But have no fear, the compost is functioning even without writing about it constantly. I've managed to keep it at about 43C (110F) for a week now, and the core is even hotter. It's finally going down a bit, and it really seems that the only way I can keep it composting really efficiently is by turning it at least every other day. I've had to add some stuff to the left side that was left to cook because I ran out of space, so it's going to be a while still before I can empty it (It's a vicious circle), but in a week or two I'm hoping to get another load out of there. I've been wetting pretty often too, as Karin keeps adding spent bedding from the bunny toilets every day.
It is, isn't it?!

Water and that bunny pee will keep things cooking.

Speaking of bunnies, they're about 10 weeks old now, a bit over. We weighed them at the 9 week mark, they were 1.5-1.7 kilos then, now I'd say we're pretty close to 2 kilos, or about 4½ lbs. Still a bit to go before they get to a decent slaughtering weight, but pretty good. The latest mix of feed we whipped up is about 17% protein (Hilma is preggers again, so she can take it too). It will be interesting to see what kind of meat we manage to get. They're also eating hay, and loads of fresh grass daily.

I'd be interested in seeing a feed rate comparison between prepared bunny meat and chicken meat. At least bunnies don't crow. But, I'm thinking that the "dispatching" might be a bit more difficult, emotionally with bunnies.

Volume, really, as that's what I measure by. But my chicken and bunny feeds don't really differ that much from each other, the bunny feed might be slightly cheaper as my bunny feed recipe isn't quite as fancy as the chicken recipe, but there isn't much of a difference. I'm not exactly sure about the cost of our feed as the prices tend to change a bit, sometimes we'll get a few sacks of grain for free as a favor, sometimes we'll get charged something for them. And I don't think we've paid anything for our hay either. The grass grows for free too. My bunny feed recipe at the moment is about 40% rapeseed pellet, 30% grains (oats and wheat) and 30% horse müesli/pellet. Winter feed will be cheaper as it will be a lot lower in protein, but for now when all the eaters are either growing meat or making babies in their tummy the higher protein stuff is needed. Of course, in winter I won't be able to feed grass so some fruits and more hay will be needed, but on the other hand I won't have baby bunnies to feed then either.

Yes, and I think you're right about turning at least every other day. My current pile isn't cooking particularly hot. Wondering whether I should add more chicken poop, or will that slow down the final outcome?

Volume, really, as that's what I measure by. But my chicken and bunny feeds don't really differ that much from each other, the bunny feed might be slightly cheaper as my bunny feed recipe isn't quite as fancy as the chicken recipe, but there isn't much of a difference. I'm not exactly sure about the cost of our feed as the prices tend to change a bit, sometimes we'll get a few sacks of grain for free as a favor, sometimes we'll get charged something for them. And I don't think we've paid anything for our hay either. The grass grows for free too. My bunny feed recipe at the moment is about 40% rapeseed pellet, 30% grains (oats and wheat) and 30% horse müesli/pellet. Winter feed will be cheaper as it will be a lot lower in protein, but for now when all the eaters are either growing meat or making babies in their tummy the higher protein stuff is needed. Of course, in winter I won't be able to feed grass so some fruits and more hay will be needed, but on the other hand I won't have baby bunnies to feed then either.
Have you looked at growing fodder for them in the winter? (or sprouts?)

Back
Top Bottom