Houdans

Good to know we have some good serious breeders working on them...
thumbsup.gif

I just had to share the egg my mottled houdan, Leah laid today. She is quite small, but lays a mighty egg!

An RIR egg, a store-bought egg, Leah's white egg!!!! Youch!
Resting in the grass post-egg

Thanks for looking. I just like to share with people who understand loving chickens.... the hubs just thinks I am nuts :)

These Houdans are so lovable. I had 2 roosters but they crowed all day and all night and I had 7 other mild crowers and I didn't want them to ruin it for everyone.

I just had to share the egg my mottled houdan, Leah laid today. She is quite small, but lays a mighty egg!

An RIR egg, a store-bought egg, Leah's white egg!!!! Youch!
Resting in the grass post-egg

Thanks for looking. I just like to share with people who understand loving chickens.... the hubs just thinks I am nuts :)

That's interesting. My girl lays a long skinny egg too. I wonder if it is a breed trait or just coincidence.

ordering 9 straight run Houdan chicks from Urch/Turnland poultry on Wednesday. Asking for delivery in April. Super excited. I am hoping obviously for a bunch of pullets. I have to delay a breeding program for a few years and want to get an idea of what I am supposed to be looking for in the interim. I am interested in restoring them to type but I don't have the time at this point to devote to the project. Plan is as follows:

Spend the next 3 or so years getting to know the breed
Follow the advice of @YellowHouseFarm and do the Dorking out cross work on body type for a few years after
After that: Retire and get going on this project for real.

Any thoughts on the timeline? I hope to draw on the knowledge of far more experienced chicken folk throughout the experience

ordering 9 straight run Houdan chicks from Urch/Turnland poultry on Wednesday.  Asking for delivery in April.     Super excited.  I am hoping obviously for a bunch of pullets.  I have to delay a breeding program for a few years and want to get an idea of what I am supposed to be looking for in the interim.   I am interested in restoring them to type but I don't have the time at this point to devote to the project.   Plan is as follows:

Spend the next 3 or so years getting to know the breed
Follow the advice of @YellowHouseFarm
and do the Dorking out cross  work on body type for a few years after
After that: Retire and get going on  this project for real. 

Any thoughts on the  timeline?  I hope to draw on the knowledge of far more experienced chicken folk throughout the experience

It is great that folks are dedicating themselves to save a breed. I know nothing of breeding programs but I do wish you the best of luck.

It is great that folks are dedicating themselves to save a breed. I know nothing of breeding programs but I do wish you the best of luck.
I don't know much either. It's why I am waiting until I retire to really get started. I am looking forward to learning
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom