Houdans

Pics

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
What's up with Houdans? I am interested in the breed. It seems like there were a couple of farms that had the White Houdans a year or two ago, Yellow House Farm being one, I think, and now they have just disappeared. Apparently even though Sand Hill has them on their list, they haven't really been able to send any out in the last couple of years. Is there ANY source for these birds anymore?

Aside from Daune Urch, any other recommended breeders for the Mottled? Has anyone tried the hatchery stock lately, specifically Ideal and Welp? What were those like? I am least interested in hearing about cosmetic faults, I want to know if they are hardy, decent layers, and up to size/meatiness.

Dr. Bramwell e-mailed me back to tell me his strain is originally from Cackle and he has been working with them for X-number of years to get them closer to standard. (I do hope to still obtain eggs from him once I get settled.) I have not yet had time to call Mr. Oxley in Ohio. I think there may be other breeders out there and I am certainly not ready to throw my hands up and give up on some really great old lines that actually in appearance and production resemble this literature I have been reading...but those birds would be a hidden gem indeed and may be extinct, at least in the US.

The honest truth is that as practical as the Houdan may once have been in its native land, it was probably relegated to a fancy breed because of it's crest and spots here and quickly lost favor sometime after it lost its utilitarian purposes. It would also geographically limit interest as I hear time and again that they can be difficult to keep in the winter with those crests, and old timers just aren't as likely to mess around with that stuff. SO, where hidden lines of other old breeds might be found and recovered from rural areas that kept them for utility flocks, the odds are slim indeed that that is the case with the Houdan.

I myself intend to probably cross back in some good Dorking blood to get the size and shape and utility functions back. The crest and spots will come with time, and probably easier!

This bit about being difficult to keep through the winter is an odd piece of information. If we go back a ways we had the Rev. Peterson in Maine. Then Bast in New York and Raddatz in Wisconsin. Gord Ridler and George Tilt, both in Ontario, had some very nice Houdans. Back on this side we have Barb Piper in northern Michigan, we had them in southern Michigan and Chris Kreuter in Pa.. Also Bob Rhodes in Massachusetts and Joe Marguette in New Hampshire where he said, for their facility, single combed breeds were a disaster. And back to Maine again with Jack Barnes. I'm tossing all of this out just in case someone who really wanted to try wasn't discouraged by location. If I were starting again there'd be a Dorking infused group as well as the pures, as long as progress was being made. Even imperfect Dorkings could impart some of that long, low and horizontal aspect as well as a deeper, fuller, rounder breast. Also a lot better idea of where and how the legs are placed compared to degenerative and/or Polish infused stock. Here's another thing about Dorkings. They will not ruin the texture, grain and overall quality of a Houdan carcass. If serious about breeding Houdans for what they used to and hopefully could be carcass quality is the reason why they were a great meal. I've never eaten a Polish but besides the horrendous effect on overall type and impression what is a Polish going to contribute to that carcass on the table? Silver gray Dorkings are actually not such a bad choice. The silver doesn't tend to be hiding other colors. Dig underneath a white and you may find a whole rainbow of colors including those from the various red families. All the Dorkings will give you pretty much the same set of positive and negative issues but red can be a bugger to work out of a color variety where it isn't wanted.

Good news everyone. I've discovered some of that good Barb Piper blood is still around! Dave West apparently got her birds, but has since been grading in another breed to increase crest size. I don't know what results that has had on type, etc in the long run...but it does sound like he knows what he's doing and I thin there are pictures of a winning pullet from his flock on this thread somewhere.

Jeff Oxley in Ohio obtained birds from Dave in 2003 before Dave added the new blood. I've seen reference to his birds doing some winning. They sound VERY nice.

Duane Urch also has Barb Piper blood in his line and is apparently offering Houdans again this year though they were not added back into the price list. Urch has a good reputation and offers some nice birds.

This is all from a post I've found on the Polish Breeders Club from April of this year, so is current info.

looking for houdan hens have you got any leads. need at least two hens done have a rooster. please get back to me someone

It might help you and others if you have some info on your page letting others know what State you are residing in
cool.png
see if I live in Death Valley California and you lived in Key West Florida the trip alone this late in Spring would most likely bring on the chickens early demise
sad.png

Some of my last summer's hatch
ya.gif

Anyone know when Houdans start to lay? Skittles' is ready (according to how much her pelvis has moved to allow room for an egg to pass) and she has been whining a lot lately. Squatting.. She would be 24 weeks old now.
_MG_4297.jpg
Here she is :)

I couldn't help myself I'm counting chickens before they hatch. Here is a pic of one of my new houdans any guesses as to gender yet?????
lau.gif

He was a wiggling and a squirming.

I like my Eurozone - Chinese - Apartment Houdans.
Amazingly if I try to drill a hole in my wall, or bring in 20 bricks (you can see in the photos) the stupid parking guard tries to fine me for noise, or home improvements on a Sunday, but every morning at 5 am sharp my rooster crows non stop until 8am, and then sporadically throughout the rest of the day yet not a soul has said a word... officially. hehe
They do grow slow, but they grow proper. Pretty cool to see them develop and not just explode into a frozen nugget bag one night when you slept in a little late.

Now a bit of levity for everyone.
Dogs and chickens can be friends. My rooster and my dog have been playing since either of them can remember. Even with all the pecking and kciking as the rooster gets cocky, they stay good friends. Plus it helps to have a tolerant dog who will give back tit for tat. "Oh ok, lets use feet now" and he paws back. So funny.

Way back in the beginning.

Playing with the food. They love dog food, and he will go eat their chicken food.

Haha, I'm bigger now! Let's roll.

I wish I could have gotton more action style shots, but they two just wouldnt cooperate. Every time SAT (the chicken) was flapping TuTu (the dog) was in the way, and every time TuTu was having fun biting at the feet or pawing at SAT's pecking beak they were over by the coop door.
Just too much trouble being a photographer. I'll try again next time. They love to play around with each other.

EDIT: The extra funny part is the now over 20 pound tom turkeys wont go near either one of them. The little rooster will chase them around pulling feathers even! Plus when me and TuTu are rough housing the rooster starts doing the danger call, and wants to help his buddy. He knows it's play now, but they've become great freinds.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I wasn't really talking about wings - That I really do understand. The tail I wasn't thinking a feather that would affect the shape or look.
Not a Houdan, but this boy I have here went to show. I did not pull his lone tail feather out, but it feel out itself before show. He is getting his big boy feathers. That tail feather looked weird, and I think he looks far better with the random feather out, but that's me.
_MG_5318.jpg

The judges took in consideration the time of year, and that a lot are going through a molt. They made a speech at our banquet about it. I didn't have any birds there that were older than a year old.
Not a good placement for your drink.

Two days and I have finished reading this thread. This past spring. I told my three younger kids (we have seven kids and we group them as the older kids, the younger kids, and Kaia, who is two and our only child together), that if they wrote a report about a chicken breed of their choice, we could consider getting some next spring. My son, who is on the autism spectrum, was the only one who partially filled this requirement. The bird he chose was the houdan. Leave it to him to pick one of the harder breeds.
Since then, I have decided to start a few small breeding projects. I have remembered my deal with the kids, so now I am researching the houdans. It would seem that there are not many, if any quality birds to be found? After reading how horrible hatchery stock is with every other breed, is that really all there is? Does anyone have any leads? The UofA is, obviously, not an option for me
roll.png
anyone else? Thank you
smile.png
my father and I will be ordering meat birds in the spring, so I would be able to meet minimum requirements for chick orders. Any good experiences from a particular hatchery (if that is the only choice? Anyone know if meat quality is still up to par. I have limited space and lots of people to feed, I figure if it is not a keeper, it should be dinner...not sure if I will be able to stick with that attitude, I have never killed anything that had less than six legs, in my life, but my plan seems to be that we will be eating lots of chicken, lol. Well,I am rambling so I will scoot off now
lol.png
My birds started out from Mcmurray hatchery.

Selective breeding.

Back
Top Bottom