In need of advice: avoiding an accidental rooster

If buying locally research the seller, make sure they are npip/AI and honestly dig around. Don't just trust their five stars locally try to find online reviews, helped me from some headache with two local farms that while NPIP/AI have very bad track record.

If not my vote for hatchery is Cackle personally. We're gonna restart our layer flock with their Welsummers and Ameraucanas.
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up I’ll keep an eye out.

Yeah I agree I would definitely be fine paying extra. Have you had Biels before? How do you like them?
No, never had them before. I like everything I've heard/read about them, though. And the auto-sexing at hatch is a BIG plus for me. I won't be getting a Bielefelder cockerel, as I already have a nice roo.

The only negative thing I've heard is that they eat a lot. With the size of my flock (11, when the chicks are here), that isn't a huge issue for me. If I had a flock of 40-50, I might feel differently.

I just wanted to close out this thread in case someone reads it later and wants to know what I decided. I ended up getting 4 female bielefelders from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries. As a first time chicken keeper I’m glad I decided to go with an auto-sexing breed for peace of mind 😊 thanks everyone for your advice I really appreciate it!
IMG_1963.jpeg

I just wanted to close out this thread in case someone reads it later and wants to know what I decided. I ended up getting 4 female bielefelders from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries. As a first time chicken keeper I’m glad I decided to go with an auto-sexing breed for peace of mind 😊 thanks everyone for your advice I really appreciate it!View attachment 3780419
Congrats! You will love them!

Join the Bielefelder Thread if you haven't already!

In fact I just posted a quick video of my Bielefelder's 1st year growth progress.
Post in thread 'Bielefelder thread!!!!' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bielefelder-thread.1467668/post-27638708

Back
Top Bottom