Housing chicks with flock

chickenMamee

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
Chicks due to hatch in a couple days and their Mama is sitting on them in coop nesting box. Should I just leave them be and let Mama handle raising them or move Mama and eggs out of coop? Help!

I let mine raise chicks with the flock. If you separate then your needing to introduce the chicks to a flock which really wont work unless momma hen is still rearing them. The beauty of brooding hens is there is no need to have a brooder and no need to keep chicks away from flock until they are old enough to be integrated. The momma is introducing them to the flock, they become flock members as chicks. Sure there will be the occasional lesson learned that some hens like their space so a chick will get a healthy peck now and then but in general the mother is protecting them from harm and they are learning to live with the rest of flock.

I let mine raise chicks with the flock. If you separate then your needing to introduce the chicks to a flock which really wont work unless momma hen is still rearing them. The beauty of brooding hens is there is no need to have a brooder and no need to keep chicks away from flock until they are old enough to be integrated. The momma is introducing them to the flock, they become flock members as chicks. Sure there will be the occasional lesson learned that some hens like their space so a chick will get a healthy peck now and then but in general the mother is protecting them from harm and they are learning to live with the rest of flock. 

Back
Top Bottom