Housing ducks

quackamyquack

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
im getting a shed to house my ducks in. I am going to modify the shed to suit housing ducks is there anything I need to build in, like a bed area, or section it of or anything? What's the best way to make a shed a duck house?

First off, you will need to cut ventilation holes and cover them with wire. In really cold climates, you need at least one square foot of ventilation per bird. If you live in a warm climate, just take out a wall. Do you plan on putting any water inside?

Make sure that any openings are covered in half inch hardware cloth, and that there is no way for something to squeeze through or bend a door or window.

Ventilation is important, and I have not come across a strict formula, just want to have some air flow to prevent too much humidity. Lots of fresh bedding. I liked a foot and a half of shavings with several inches of straw on top. I would spot pick the top of the straw, move it aside, fluff the shavings. This was before moving the ducks into a pen in the walkout basement, where I don't need such deep bedding (it's 50F down there now, without a heater, just the insulation from the walls and the house on top).

My ducks like corners for laying eggs - they make their own nests when they want them.

I'm not sure yet, obviously I will have drinking water, but I'm not sure about what to use for them to bathe in, do orpingtons need a lot of water?

what is outside like? are they penned, free ranged? many choose not to put feed/water inside due the extreme mess that entails plus water inside and the mess means a rise in humidity so ventilation takes on an even greater role.

I keep scovies so i have a roost but mallard derived don't need that. My pekin and buffs house in a stall in the main barn and a small coop.. neither of those have food/water access(calls are similar, smaller coops no feed.water), that i choose to keep for outside.

None of my ducks have ever used nesting boxes, they just make a nest with the bedding, biggest thing is ensuring predators cannot access the barn and all openings and doors are secure.

Last edited:
I can keep my Buff Orpingtons indoors without water mess. I have three in one indoor pen for nights and storms. They have been inside most of the last 36 hours. I have changed their water a few times, but have not had to refresh the sawdust pellets yet.

Just in case they manage to get water on the floor, I would cover the wood shed floor with a rubber mat. Or a tarp. We use both, a rubber stall mat with a tarp over it. My husband was worried that with the runny poop that sometimes occurs and the water that the shed floor could rot out.

We cut a small hatch door in the shed too. It is nice to have when it is rainy or snowing or very windy. The big doors can stay closed and they can still go in and out at will. Definitely cover any holes with hardware cloth. We have soffet vents, a roof vent and windows in ours. But we did not retrofit an existing shed, we designed ours specifically for one side to be ducks and one side to be rabbits. But is is set up so it can be totally secure from dusk to dawn. Which gives much peace of mind.

That's a really good idea, so do I just need to section of a area for food and water? And the rest they'll sort out them selves?

Back
Top Bottom