Housing guineas and peafowl together?

Debbienmousey

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Washington, Georgia, USA
Does anyone have experience with housing the two together? We have 2 peacocks and 1 peahen in a separate pen from the rest of our flock (chickens and guineas), and I normally just let the guineas free range with the chickens but I have 3 guineas (1 cock 2 hens I believe) that I would like to keep penned until next spring or summer. (Just to make sure that I get some babies from them before I run the risk of losing them to wildlife.) The peafowl pen is pretty spacious (I'm not good with measurements, lol), and they should easily have enough room to "get away" from each other if they so desire. The peas are 2 1/2 and 1 years old, the guineas are between 4 and 6 months old.

they have been housed together, even have cross bred........now hope they aren't carrier of blackhead. with just 3 peafowl you could risk it , just may sure you keep a eye on them, that they don't get sick . odd slim with just a few.

Last edited:
Deerman, is it possible to treat new birds for blackhead just in case and be able to run them with peafowl? I've heard with Metronidozale?

If you were able to treat for it with any new birds joining the flock, would this solve the issue of running them together (such as peafowl with guineas, pheasant, etc.)?

I’m asking because I would like to run other birds with my peafowl as well.

What are the symptoms of blackhead? And just to clarify, these guineas were hatched & raised on my farm. When it was just the peacocks they lived in a smaller pen which had previously been used as a nursery for baby chickens and then later for roosters. And the pen the peas are in now was previously used to keep & raise young chickens and guineas. Actually..When I first got this peahen I kept her in the pen with the other chickens & guineas. She used to have a sister that we bought also, but she died only about a month or two after we got them
sad.png
. I think she got sick because she stayed out in the cold & snow though, not anything disease related I don't think. Just wanted to mention that.

Thanks guys, that helps. I think I'll go ahead and risk it. Does anyone know how to treat blackhead if they do get sick? Or is it always a fatal disease?

You know the funny thing is I've always heard that you can't keep turkeys with chickens, but I've seen people do it. We'd love to raise turkeys, but this is one of the reasons why we've been holding off on getting some. Hmm...

You treat Blackhead with Metronidazole (hope it's spelt right) 250 or 500mg from your vet, if 250mg 4 tablets to 1 gallon of water if 500mg 2 tablets to 1 gallon of water changing water everday for 3 to 4 days then repeat 7 to 10 days later.

Peachicks and Poults are about the same to raise.

Ricky

Last edited:
we have one guinea hen and one peacock with 35 chickens. they are bonded. if they are seperated they call back and forth. we show both at 4h fair, one year they had seperated cages and after 4 days of screaming from the both of them, 4h concel made sure they had a huge pen for the 2 every year after
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom