Housing Red Golden Pheasants with Coturnix in smaller coop

FiveFootmama

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, I'm very interested in getting one Red Gold Pheasant pair, mostly to enjoy having such a beautiful, colorful bird around. From what I've read, most people say housing pheasants and Coturnix quail together generally works out fine- same feed, same family, generally fairly docile.

What I'm wondering mostly is if anyone can personally comment on their experiences with keeping these two types of birds together? Also, my coop and run is not as large as many people have. The indoor portion is 6'x3.5' and the fenced run is 6'x10.5'. The roof is at least 8'. Is this suitable for Red Goldens? About how many Coturnix could I keep in a space this size with 2 Red Goldens? I currently have no roosts or anything, so wondering about that, as well.

Attachments

• 20170624_145925.jpg
    20170624_145925.jpg
    751.5 KB · Views: 40
Personally, I would not recommend housing quail with pheasants. I have done it before with ring necked pheasants and Bobwhites and Blue Scaled quail. I have also housed them with Bianchi pheasants and it did not work out. The pheasants killed the quail.
It's a gamble either way...it might work or it may not....if your dead set on trying it, be sure you have another pen to seperate the quail from the pheasants.

Goldens like to perch/roost on the highest available perch in a pen. Quail roost on the ground.
Judging by the pic of the coop/run, it is barely adequate to keep a pair of Goldens. It would be ok to raise 10 to 15 quail, though. The bigger the enclosure, the better when raising pheasants. The least amount of space I would recommend for a pair of pheasants would be a 100 sq. ft. enclosure. HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your input. I have been reluctant to add the pheasants to the coop based on the size alone. My quail, however, find it very spacious. I've had as many as 40 at a time with no issues and still over 2 sq. ft. per bird. Typically I keep around 30.

I'll have to hold off on the pheasants until I can get the country house I want so badly!

Back
Top Bottom