Houston, TX: Let's Change the Chicken Laws and Ordinances in COH

Hi! I was surprised but delighted when I found your post. Liked what I read and truly appreciate your initiative. I live practically in the heart of Houston. A rare few know me as 'the egg lady" or "the chicken lady." I operate under the radar for obvious reasons. The real energy will be spent on education to dispell the myths, if you will. Particularly with the onslaught of fear of avian flu and other concerns of disease and, in general, backyard eggs as a food source. And, yes, noise is a ligitimate factor when considering a rooster. And being an owner of a flock of chickens is an education in itself. Who knew hawks, racoons or other prey would be a concern in the middle of the city! Hence a rooster was added to our flock. Or wild birds a source of mites and lice. What a burden and expense to relieve this infestation. Or an attraction to inner city rats (we quickly learned my organic feed would need to be stored in metal not thick plactic containers which I spent many dollars!). And so much more but well worth the effort. No fun sometimes but well worth the effort! Need I say that I knew nothing going into this venture. I need only say that my heartfelt motivation was to move toward unadulterated food and sustainable living practices. And I have implemented organic gardening as well.

I live in "the land that time forgot." Or at least that's what my husband calls it. Mind you, he grew up only a mile from my childhood home. His being a typical residential neighborhood of 600 - 800 plus homeowners. My street is a business/residential neighborhood with narrow but long property parcels generally speaking. We are our own neighborhood and only a handful of neighbors! It doesn't involve a volunteer committee bound by a volume of deed restrictions. I know, because I lived in my husband's childhood home for some ten years and seven and one-half as a caregiver for my mother-in-law. I volunteered on a couple of comittees and attended neighborhood council meetings and occasional functions. A different culture from a stone throw away. Our neighbors didn't work towards unified restrictions or gather together for anything. And there is my mother's philosophy of "live and let live." I still don't know exactly what that means but sure she doesn't like contentious behavior and prefers a peaceful existance without encroachment of an ill sort. Anyway, in a city like Houston, one can experience culture shock just a few blocks away.

For anyone reading this post, there is a principal or moral here to take into consideration. Know your neighbors and respect the laws and regulations within the borders of which you live. Take the time to educate and share vaulable lessons learned. In other words, don't set out to be a rebel without a cause. Much can be accomplished with a heart of sincerety and the determination to do the right thing for all. It takes time, knowledge, caution on the side of error, and most of all the respect for others though it may seem gruelingly slow. Just imagine if you were on the other side of the isle, albiet ignorance or fear. Haven't we all been there. I'm just saying for what it's worth.

As for the individual of the original post, I would be interested in leaning more of your efforts. I would like to help as I am able to do so concerning a most valuable objective.

Thank you for your consideration and time. Not sure how to contact you on a more private and secure basis?!

Wth regard to a place for selling chicks. Check out Blue Star Ranch in Bellville, Tx. Bit of a road trip from where you live but worth the perks! Chick it out! Check out their website, and see what I mean. Haven't done businessess with them yet, but on the charts. I look forward to doing so. Feel free to post your experience for the rest of us. Wish you the best of good things whatever you decide.

Chickin World
Houston, Tx
(photo is of our pet chicken, Goldie. A true pet. Uncanny, she loves to be held and coddled. A pest if I don't do so. I need a papoose of sorts or I'm subject to the one arm farm girl. Kind of a nuisance really. But how I would wail if anything happened to her.)

If you have a disabled or handicapped member in your home and local ordinances are prohibiting you from having back yard hens, don't despair!

We have PREVAILED!!! We have WON against our Home Owners Association!

Their tail feathers are tucked between their legs as they run to do damage control!

And now we are looking to get a summary judgement to protect others as well.

Tell every one you know!

It's time for Hens of all colors to unite!!!!

My neighbors have a rooster that wakes us up every day before 6 AM seven days a week. Their coops do not meet code. I got on this forum to search COH ordinances and appreciate the resources provided. So, these cluckers are going to the KFC immediamento!

Chickens don't belong in Houston. They stink and roosters are noisy and a nuisance. I grew up with chicken - in the country. I moved to the city to get away from poultry. Eggs are cheap.

What an idiot you are! So, the stupid dogs don't bark? When ever they feel like it? Or the cats don't meow in the middle of the night?
You do not have to have a rooster to get eggs from a hen!
If you can have a stupid dog or a nasty cat! I can have a noisy chicken!

Back
Top Bottom