Hovabator Genesis 1588: Old Model VS. New Model

angusb

Songster
13 Years
Jul 24, 2009
I see some sellers still selling an older model of the Hovabator Genesis 1588 Incubator, which does not have the digital thermometer/hygrometer readout that the new model has. If you want to see what I'm talking about, here's the new one:

Here's the readout from the newer model:

And here's the older model:

The older model just has a series of screws and plugs on top.

My question is, what are the differences in these models? I see an up and down arrow on the readout of the newer model. Is that the way the temperature is adjusted (if necessary)? It would seem like a handy feature to have (being able to set the specific temperature digitally), but maybe I'm not understanding how it works. Is that just a thermometer reading, or is it an adjustable thermostat? It says "temperature set", so I imagine it MUST be an adjustable thermostat. The older model had a series of switches on the inside that had to be adjusted in order to change the temperature. If anybody has experience with both of these, I'd appreciate any reviews you might have about the differences between the two. Many sellers are still selling the older model, and the newer model is usually a bit more expensive. Should I spring for the digital display one?

Thanks for any help.

Angus

I don't have experience with the newer model, but I know that its digital temperature control (and that does control the thermostat) is very similar to that on Brinseas and other generally more expensive incubators. You do just change the temperature up or down with the arrows. It does control the thermostat, but whether the thermostat is accurately calibrated is uncertain. So you do have to check anyway, but in my experience it usually is. Along with being a way to adjust the thermostat, it will (I think) display temperature, perhaps from an internal thermometer. However, I know that only from the Brinseas; it is possible that you set the thermostat on the Genesis but it does not actually give you a reading.

However, I have the older model. I find the dip switches on the inside a little difficult to work with, and I personally don't like that lack of flexibility. I want something that allows me to change the temperature in at least 0.2F increments for greater control. For instance some people like to hatch at lower temperatures, or incubate certain eggs at slightly different temps. That's where digital control like that is so much easier. For me each switch gave me a temperature that was too different from the one after and prior to it that really, I just had to set it to the one that was close enough. Luckily it was very good, however I didn't get to use the incubator for as many purposes as I'd like. (Brooding small altricial birds for example).

Hope that helps a little.

It does help, thank you. GQF's own site still has instructions only for the old model, and it isn't clear from their description of the currently available model how the thermostat is controlled. I did find another site that verified what you said, that it's a simple matter of pushing the up or down buttons to adjust the setting. Compared to the old model, that seems like a huge benefit. Here's the way you had to adjust the old model:

They said each of the switches, numbers 1 though 8, represent about 0.5 to 1 degree Fahrenheit, so it's not like it's an exact science. Being able to just push the button until the setting reaches 99.9 seems much more desirable. And the new model DOES display both a temp and hygrometer reading.

Oh, does it display a hygrometer reading? This new Genesis is tempting me. I have the desire to sell my old one and use the little I get from it towards a new one.
tongue.png

As for the switches, they are a pain, indeed. First of all, being a bit daft, it took me a while to even understand which way was up and which down. I also find that it isn't exactly .5 degrees, and I couldn't get it to as low as I wanted even on the lowest setting, and there are all sorts of complicated ways to lower it from there that I decided wasn't worth the trouble.

At least in my Brinseas, also, the built-in hygrometers are a lot more accurate and reliable than any hygrometer I've bought. I actually find my hygrometers fail after about a year or so, entirely, reading 50% in my house when I know it is (sadly) much, much lower. It is probably similar in the new Genesis, or at least I'd hope so.

All in all, to me it seems quite improved just with this upgrade.

Yeah, the display apparently shows Set Temp, Actual Temp, and Humidity:

I went ahead and bought one. It seems like the most foolproof, easy to use incubator out there. It remains to be seen how accurate the readings are, but people do seem to love this model, so I'm hoping for the best!

I have no experience with any incubator, but I do recall a quote from an old TV series, Banachek. When the hero, who owned a lot of antiques was asked if he thought old stuff was better than new stuff he responded, "There are 1000's of years of old stuff and only about 50 years of new stuff. The odds are in favor of the old stuff."
smile.png

I have the new genisis with the digital settings. This is my second hatch with it. I find that it reads the temp and humidity from the very top of the incubator......Right now I have 3 digital thermometors and everyone is reading different......You can adjust the new 1588 with the up and down buttons on the top for the heat. It adjusts by tenths of degree. I felt it ran lower temps on my last hatch, so I am monitoring it more closely now. I am in lockdown, so I can't do drastic tests..Even tho they say you don't need a second thermometor, I believe you do unless something is wrong with mine....I do like it, but it needs tweeking, and thats just my thoughts.....I would talk to GQF and see what they say........Hope I helped!!!!

I have the older 1588. That new model is very tempting, but I have not gotten one yet. The thing I dislike the most on the old model is the dip switches for adjusting the temperature, so they have addressed my major complaint. I don't know what else they changed.

I suggest with any incubator you don't blindly trust the factory settings or instruments. Get a good thermometer that reads to the tenth of a degree and calibrate it so you know what you are working with. Sometimes the factory settings and tolerances are really good for any of them, but sometimes they are not due to manufacturing tolerances.

Hi ruanna, you said you are on lockdown . How many egg did you put in and have they started to hatch yet?

I have the new genisis with the digital settings. This is my second hatch with it. I find that it reads the temp and humidity from the very top of the incubator......Right now I have 3 digital thermometors and everyone is reading different......You can adjust the new 1588 with the up and down buttons on the top for the heat. It adjusts by tenths of degree. I felt it ran lower temps on my last hatch, so I am monitoring it more closely now. I am in lockdown, so I can't do drastic tests..Even tho they say you don't need a second thermometor, I believe you do unless something is wrong with mine....I do like it, but it needs tweeking, and thats just my thoughts.....I would talk to GQF and see what they say........Hope I helped!!!!

Back
Top Bottom