HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
I have had ducks for a few years, and finally bought an incubator last year.

I had a very low hatch rate, on my first try, but my ducks were 5 years old and I’m pretty sure that was the biggest problem w my first attempt.

I was given a dozen duck eggs a few weeks ago from a friend who has the same variety of ducks that we keep (Welsh Harlequin), but only 1 showed veining and - her crew is young....I’m not sure that her drake was doing the best job.

Regardless. I am looking to add a second ‘bator, as I’d like to be able to add eggs every 5-7 days, so I need a separate lockdown incubator.

My current incubator is a HovaBator 1588, with the forced air fan/ heat, digital display, auto turner, and humidikit
Yes, I run a separate hygrometer, and always add a separate thermometer (and move these tools when candling at 7 and 14 days...everything seems right)

I keep it inside while it’s running, so the ambient temps are as constant as possible. I usually run it at 100-101, for the Welsh Harlequin ducks, and about 42-45% humidity....adjusted out of that range as needed based on egg weights/ air cell development.

I was chatting with a rep from incubator warehouse earlier, and she suggested three options
- a HovaBator 1602 as a Hatcher / lockdown bator
https://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-incubator-circulated-air.html
- a 2370 - also a lockdown bator
https://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-2370-electrnic-thermostat-hova-bator.html
- or an incuview 3 as a an incubator, and switch the 1588 that we have to be the lockdown bator....
But. I’d need to buy the egg turners and whole setup to swap over to the IncuView... and I have not been able to find any threads here that mention the IncuView 3?
https://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-incubators/combokits/incuview-combo-kits.html
If anyone has any thoughts, recommendations, or comments- please throw them out here 💕

I've used the 1602N and don't like having to fiddle with the wafer thermostat control. I use 2370s (I just purchased my 4th) as hatchers for all types of eggs, including waterfowl. I find these reliable, economical, and very nice to have on hand as back-up incubators when needed.

The fan on the 2370 can be turned off to convert it to a still air incubator, if desired. One aspect I don't care for - and it's a minor one - is that the temperature alarm will go off once the temps decrease to 77F...so putting relatively cold eggs in there means the alarm will be going off until they warm up. I work around this by warming up the eggs in my 1588s and then transferring them to the 2370 when they're already at around 99.5F.

I also like that my Little Giant auto turners work in the 2370s (as well as the 1588s).

For cost, capacity, and reliability, I think the 2370s are hard to beat.

So I have a two incubator set up.

I use this as my main incubator https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089CKL1WK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I put eggs in it weekly. I don't care for the candler. It does work but the area I have it in isn't completely dark so the light is not quite bright enough.

I then use a little giant 41 egg still air incubator from Tractor Supply to lockdown and hatch out chicks. I place paper towels on the mesh floor before moving eggs in and it helps to keep things cleaner between hatches.

I have hatched out 2doz duck eggs
A dozen turkey eggs
And so many chicken eggs I have lost count 😅. I do like the 2370 also.

So I have a two incubator set up.

I use this as my main incubator https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089CKL1WK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I put eggs in it weekly. I don't care for the candler. It does work but the area I have it in isn't completely dark so the light is not quite bright enough.

I then use a little giant 41 egg still air incubator from Tractor Supply to lockdown and hatch out chicks. I place paper towels on the mesh floor before moving eggs in and it helps to keep things cleaner between hatches.

I have hatched out 2doz duck eggs
A dozen turkey eggs
And so many chicken eggs I have lost count 😅. I do like the 2370 also.
Thank you!
I am really curious about the roller turners....
Also curious about whether the turner in my 1588 is the best option, because it keeps the eggs vertical and basically “rocks” them back and forth slowly.

I have also noticed that Incubator Warehouse now offers a different “turner” w this (and other) model(s).

Perhaps that is a question for a new thread, before I commit to a second unit?

But I’d love opinions!
(I only have one left this time, on lockdown atm so pls forgive the “window” pic)

Attachments

• AC7324F0-3C80-4863-91A6-399612DD4C3D.jpeg
    AC7324F0-3C80-4863-91A6-399612DD4C3D.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you!
I am really curious about the roller turners....
Also curious about whether the turner in my 1588 is the best option, because it keeps the eggs vertical and basically “rocks” them back and forth slowly.

I have also noticed that Incubator Warehouse now offers a different “turner” w this (and other) model(s).

Perhaps that is a question for a new thread, before I commit to a second unit?

But I’d love opinions!
(I only have one left this time, on lockdown atm so pls forgive the “window” pic)
20230504_190448.jpg
I really like the rollers. They can be changed for all sizes of eggs and are easy to clean if needed. Picture of current eggs. Geese on the right and chicken on the left. I also have eggs to put in tomorrow to fill the empty space.

I personally like the roller better than the rockers. We had the rocker one when I was younger and I don't think it worked that great but things have changed in 15 years so they might work better now lol.

20230504_190515.jpg

Second incubator with 6 silkies that just hatched. They will be moving to the brooder tonight or tomorrow. The paper towels make it so easy to clean. I just pull them up throw them away and rinse off the plastic grate and foam incubator. (My kids had the lid open for a minute getting the shells and counting everyone so my temp and humidity are down on the blue thermometer)

Back
Top Bottom