Hovabator Genesis Hatch, Feb-May! WITH CONTESTS!

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
Well, there's now a monthly Brinsea hatch thread, so how about we make a thread for those hatching in the Hovabator this Spring? This will last Feb-May. This will be great for me to watch, because I am thinking about getting this incubator over the Brinsea, only because it holds more eggs.

I know, I know, I shouldn't even get my hands on an incubator... but I won't be keeping any of the chicks.

Just PM me the following info to join the hatch, I'm clearing my PM's. You'll be added to the home page of the thread. And by the way, this is all I need to know so make it short please!
wink.png

-Model of Hovabator you're using
-What you'll be hatching and how many
-Date or month that you're setting eggs
-Date or month that they'll be hatching

I hope to hatch a lot of Ameraucanas. Pure only, no EE's. Maybe Coronation Sussex? Not sure. They're just beautiful. If I get a bigger coop to put my two current flocks together, they will be added.

I'd like B/B/S and Lav. Hopefully setting March or April.

So, who's in?
wee.gif

HATCHERS

-rearrolled- Model 1602n, around 40 eggs- Aussie Game, Aconas, Light Sussex, Japanese Bantam x rosecomb, Barred Plymouth Rock, Pekins, OEGB. Hatching around March.
-newlyweds- hatching mostly OE's, BCM's and several mixes. Also some eggs from others such as silver laced dorkings. 46 eggs in the bator now and more are added every Wednesday. Hatch dates of the 16th, 23rd and 2nd.
-bantyshanty- hatching in model 1588. 11 Mille D'Uccles due Feb 14th, and several serama-Dutch mixes due the 21st. 12 porcelain d'uccles due around mid-march and bantam sultans at the same time.
-sonjab314- Hatching in 1588, set 9 showgirl/silkie eggs on 2/6/11. 15 EE's due the third. 3 eggs from own flock set on the 31st. Just ordered 2 dozen Wyandotte eggs. Will have quail to hatch soon.
-sgtmom52- Model 1588, hatching pure ameraucanas, Olive eggers and frizzle bantam cochins from own flock in the beginning of march. Wants dark BFCM's too.
-Elly_Mae- Set 12 Orp eggs on 2/3 in the 1588 for a 2/24 hatch.
-Cloverleaf Farm- Hatching LF Salmon Faverolles, LF Lavender & black/lav split Ameraucanas, LF partridge Chanteclers, bantam Faverolles mixes for a project. Current hatch dates: 2/13, 2/19, 2/25.
-Sumatra503- Forced air model hovabator with wafer thermostat, hatching Coturnix Quail eggs and some of her own chicken eggs. Sebright crosses, Seremas, Sumatras, depending on how her girls lay.
-BarellMom- 1588 with auto egg turner. set 18 eggs- 12 pure ameraucana and 6 cochin x ameraucana "cochicana" eggs on feb 3rd. expected to hatch around feb 24th, 2011.
-GAGE-just finished a hatch in 1588. went 7/10, with 2 EE, and 5 OE's. will be hatching a batch of ameraucanas, EE's and OE's coming next week from muggsmagee. also has a hovabator 2362N that might load if needed to.
-stampntam- using model 1602N, hatching 5 BCM's and 5 cuckoo marans. set 2/3/11. hatch expected 2/24/11.
-mstricer- model 3262N. hatching 3 freedom rangers/FBCM and 4 OE. set 1/25/11 (PepsNick's dog's birthday
lol.png
) and due to hatch 2/14/11.
-gavinandallison- model 1588, 12 BO's, hopefully at least 12 BR's. and any that come home from Morganton NC show. will be set the evening of the show.
-dixieangeln- model 1588 with turner. first hatch, set 23 eggs and only 6 made it to lock down night of 2/7/11. bantam cochin eggs. 1 mottles and 5 mille fleurs.
-mountainwhisper- hatching four silkie eggs. set 1/27 due 2/18. might be a day late. model 1602 still air with auto turner.
-sheila3935- hovabator 1602. has 11 in lockdown. mixes, BR roo over RIR and Del roo over NN,BR,BA,RIR and BO mix.
-CritterCatcher- new model 1588 with egg turner, 9 black jersey giants, 33 buff orps for a full batpr. set feb 13. lockdown march 3rd hatch should be march 6
-Chicken_Lover4567- model 1588, about 15 BR, set 12/15, hatching in March.
-Tiramisu- model 1588, hatching a dozen silver laced cochins, 6 mille fleur cochins, and six siclian buttercups. All are bantams. eggs set feb 10th, hatch date march 7th.
-blueducklings- hova 1588 w/ auto turner, Hatching blue and pastel indian runner ducklings 1 egg 2/6-due 4 eggs 2/13-due 3/12 17 eggs 2/22 -due 3/23
-alicefelldown- model 1602, hatching BCM's, Ameraucanas and Orps set 2/20 due March.
-happyhensny- one model unknown and one 1602, hatching 12 pumpkin hulsey, 6 mystery eggs, 36 FBCM, 5 bantam blue cochin, 9 speckled sussex, 5 LF brahma, & 8 australorps. set 2/20, should hatch march 12.
-Terri O- 1602 w/ auto turner. guineas and turkies hatching march 1st, chickens and quail hatching March 23rd.
-sgtmom52- 1588, pure ameraucanas, OE's and Bantam Frizzle Cochins. hatching march 21st.
-Larissa Cluck- model 1602, set 23 eggs 2/24, due 3/18. welsummers, lav & wheaten ameraucanas, OE's and EE's.
-karimw- 1588, 58 eggs set feb 26th, due march 19th. 12 lav ameraucana, 5 Iwoa blues, 41 EE's.
-CountryPantry- 42 eggs in it due 3/16 (Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers).... Hovabator2 has 40 eggs in it due 3/13 (RIR, Mille Fleur D'Uccles, Ameraucana and Easter Eggers) and our newest one has 50 eggs in it due 3/21 (Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers). newest bators are 1602's.

Seems to me like model 1588 is the most popular so far, and is what I am looking into.

-

I will be holding weekly contests to who posts the first pic of their new-born hatchling starting the Sunday of every week. Every week, another winner's photo will be put onto this home page.

Week one of Feb 6th Winner:

Congratulations sonjab314! You were the first one to post the hatchling pic this week, and this thread overall! Here is the picture of the hatchling, a Showgirl/Silkie.

56934_awwwwwwwwww.jpg

Week two of Feb 13th Winnder:

A big congrats to Cloverleaf Farm! Here is her new baby.

56934_cloverleaffarm.jpg

Week three of Feb 20th Winner:

Elly_Mae! These went under a broody White Silkie after they hatched.

56934_ellymae.jpg

Week Four of Feb 27th Winner:

Cloverleaf Farm, AGAIN!
ep.gif
woot.gif

56934_cloverleafwins.jpg

Another way to keep up with the winners is to visit the contest page. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56934-hovabator-hatch-weekly-contest

No
matter what you're hatching, feel free to join the thread- Just shout me a PM.
wink.png

Last edited:
Gosh, I'd love to join this. I'm ordering my Genesis 1588 today. I won't know when I'm starting until it gets here though. I have turkey, goose, duck, and chicken eggs. And man, I hate eating them, knowing I could be hatching them and making more birds.

I have Buff Orpington hens and a White Rock rooster and I'm hoping they'll make beautiful strawberry blonde babies, lol. I saw some at a farm once and they were just gorgeous, a pale buff color. I asked about them and was told they were a cross between BOs and WRs. So that's what I'm trying to make.

I don't know how many eggs I have, or when they'll be starting. In fact, I don't know anything at all about incubating. I'm just getting started. I heard there's a chicken show near me next weekend. Maybe there'll be eggs for sale. Maybe I'll buy some...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hey, that's just what I need! Thanks!!

March sounds better for me. I just realized it's probably too soon up here in the mountains to be hatching out babies.

Quote:
Hey, that's just what I need! Thanks!!

March sounds better for me. I just realized it's probably too soon up here in the mountains to be hatching out babies.

wink.png

I'm waiting for Cyn to arrive here... I know that she's doing a lot of hatching now and soon.

Last edited:
I'm in using a Hovabator Genisis, I will be hatching mostly OE's, BCM's and some mix from my flock, and also some eggs I purchase from others, like some beautiful dun laced Dorkings. I have about 46 eggs in the bator now, with hatch dates of 16th, 23rd, and 2. I add eggs usually every wednesday, so I have hatches weekly. Very good percentages 95+ with my own eggs. This will be a fun thread to follow. Thanks for starting it.

I'm in too!
jumpy.gif

I have a Genesis 1588 and plan to set some the beginning of March from my own hens. I will be starting out with pure Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers and Bantam frizzle Cochins. I also want to buy some nice dark BFCMs too. I plan to do multiple hatches this spring.

Back
Top Bottom