How About a Jumbo Co Op

Quote:
So, OK, more than a day late and a $ short, BUT................Have decided to go w/jumbo browns. Is it too late to join the coop? Be aware..................I am an absolute newbie to quail, interested in meat and eggs for family consumption. I live in TN.

Howdy neighbor!
woot.gif

Quote:
Look at my Jan 1 Hatch. The eggs were numbered with pen #'s.
Pen 1 Female Browns with Gold pen stripes / Male Brown with red flecks, cream stripes. The 2 Brown varieties crossing for the F1's.
Pen 3 is the reverse. Pen 3 is also from the breeder several monthes later, different parents.
I used pen 1 to produce all eggs for F1. ( Pen 3 were to young to lay at that point).
Pen 5 F1's

Combined all eggs, the chicks are growing well. I trust them, like their parents to choose mates from the Pen 3. THis is what their parents did, sort of they choose the oposites rather than their siblings. I grow them out together in a grow out pen. The largest always hang out at the sandbox. Only the preferred male is allowed in the sandbox with the largest female.
If you give them a choice they will choose other than sibling. Exception is Big Bad Bertha, she wanted her mate and her brother probably. BUT he is never allowed to mate with her. He has his own girls.

I have time, I watch my birds alot throughout the day. Very relaxing.

If I were going forward. I would do the same with pen 3 to produce that variety F1. I would actually set eggs from both parent pens and both F1's for the 2nd. Then continue the pattern. But I got sidetracked with hatching the Whites so they wouldn't be lost. That is why I still have the original parents and felt I needed to rest them. I have to back track and deal with Pen 3 and hatch from them.

2 varieties hatched then bred together. A stagered line breeding. It stagers back and forth. I do not save males. I do have extra females. You are going to need them. Large fast growth along with large eggs is very hard on the females. I do not switch males. If eggs are not fertile. I don't hatch. They take a break from time to time, I notice its when there is a big change in the weather. Takes a few days to get back in form. No big deal for me. (But I can see where it would be for breeders that sell).

I did the Jan 1 hatch to show you a way to go forward with this Jumbo Brown line- just the Browns. But I am going back to using all 4 varieties in a similar breeding program. But the varieties will be separated by a crossing and then a different brown each time. I think it will take 2 years to go through 1 cycle. I have patience.

Quote:
I trust them, like their parents to choose mates from the Pen 3. THis is what their parents did, sort of they choose the oposites rather than their siblings.
If you give them a choice they will choose other than sibling. Exception is Big Bad Bertha, she wanted her mate and her brother probably. BUT he is never allowed to mate with her. He has his own girls.

You can't be for real , letting them run together, trust them not to mate with their sibling......males will mate with any female that are penned with them. they don't pair up, unless you are there 24/7 noway can you be sure they are not breeding brother and sister

Quote:
I trust them, like their parents to choose mates from the Pen 3. THis is what their parents did, sort of they choose the oposites rather than their siblings.

You can't be for real , letting them run together, trust them not to mate with their sibling......males will mate with any female that are penned with them. they don't pair up, unless you are there 24/7 noway can you be sure they are not breeding brother and sister

X2

Back
Top Bottom