How About a Jumbo Co Op

Mine look good. Think I wound up with two different shades of brown coturnix. No whites. None of the eggs with "6" written on them hatched. I've got some of my own Coturnix hatching about 3 days behind these so I will be able to compare and contrast their growth patterns.

Quote:
Awesome! I think you are the only one so far who hatched any! Keep us posted on your hatch

Yes, but she may have sacrificed the Jumbo Browns and her chicks from her very own eggs to get these.

Perhaps once they are all in the brooder she can snap a picture or two and show you All her Whites.
lol.png

Make no mistake they are all Whites.
After all diggy paws will be hatching them next and will want to be prepared. Wouldn't want her to go into shock.
Oh, how I love playing with these birds.

apparently my temp. gauge went out on me . i have 2 new ones in the bator now and it seems that the old one was cooler by 4* than what it read!! Therefore...anyone wanting to get the White Buttercup chicks to hatch might try them seperate or ? on a cooler than regular temp.....
i have had 1 No # ed egg hatch( brown) within minutes of the temp. being corrected.
i don't mind the loss of my birds' eggs since i have a slew of them waiting to go in tomorrow morning anyway . What bothers me ALOT is losing Buttercup eggs since they are irreplacable ...
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Wow, that is sad news. Sorry for your loss. Im sure some of us will be glad to get you eggs as ours start laying. Bill

Quote:
Thanks Bill....i'm still hatching chicks...
pop.gif

i have to laugh at what Buttercup said about pictures "so Diggypaws wont go into shock." i needed to ask B.cup if she had mislabeled eggs but she says no, the whites give an ...interesting....assortment of chicks....LOL
wait till you see!
and Yes B.cup it IS going to be fun playing with the whites!

Quote:
Awesome! I think you are the only one so far who hatched any! Keep us posted on your hatch

Yes, but she may have sacrificed the Jumbo Browns and her chicks from her very own eggs to get these.

Perhaps once they are all in the brooder she can snap a picture or two and show you All her Whites.
lol.png

Make no mistake they are all Whites.
After all diggy paws will be hatching them next and will want to be prepared. Wouldn't want her to go into shock.
Oh, how I love playing with these birds.

OK - next
smile.png

I've spent every spare minute the last few days setting up incubator corrals and brooder space to keep the the different ones sorted out, even making another trip to the feed store for more tubs and lights, but since I'll be able to put the 3 white ones from pen 5 with the 3 gold ones from one set with the all brown group from the colony pens - uhmmmmm - OK, I guess I'll be resorting tomorrow
smile.png

I got 22 chicks from 36 eggs, which is probably a new record for me for shipped eggs
wee.gif

I was planning to post some pics, but my computer isn't cooperating, so I'll try again tomorrow....

Diggypaws you got Golds from Pen 1? I don't even have them anymore. You are the only one to accomplish that. Pat yourself on the back and then do it again.
OH...... I am waiting on a new bator. Not so patiently I might add.
hit.gif

I suppose you will tell us you have a Brown with a White Belly, next. Another 1st, even for me. What is with that girls' eggs?
But I want to know the story about pen 4 eggs? What Temp and Humidity you used with Forced air or still? This isss a test hatch after all.

Oh and congratulations.
jumpy.gif

More quailies means more ladies, means more eggies to hatch and eat everyday in many ways. Healthy little things, too.
celebrate.gif
caf.gif
caf.gif

UMMMMM let me warn you: I think Martha got one of Big Bad Bertha's GGGD and she and the other tried to tear the wings off of her Whites, not even 1 day old yet. Needless to say, they had to be separated. That line just does not like Whites so watch their little fuzzy butts. They are fine with Pen 4 babies though. (The biggest badest Females there are the ones to watch and their brothers too probably, good luck on figuring out which ones they are. I have no help for you there, sorry). Their grandmothers and mothers weren't like that I assure you, but that one is definately GGGM's alright.
smile.png

Oh and Fat Daddy I forgot to weigh Last Friday, but I won't forget this Friday Evening when mine are about 4 weeks old. But I am not going out there at 11PM to weigh them. Hope you tripled the size of their feed dish and are ready to do it again when they are 5 weeks old when the next bing eating begins. Oh yes, I use 4 different sizes of feeders for these girls. They are little pigs with wings. But you work a lot of overtime right? To pay for that GB Feed. Grow them Big As They Can Get - Fast.

Last edited:
Well Martha didn't put up pics of the Pen 5 chicks yet, so I thought I would show you what they will or should look like at almost 4 weeks old. I'll weigh them tomorrow evening and come back and post their weights Fat Daddy. They look similar to the Egyptian Golds. But the EG's do not have White anywhere and their lightest color is cream. Not these. Having the White Hens for mothers and you each know the color of Daddy to watch for, they show the White and their background color is again different, unfortunately it doesn't show in the pic very well.

But remember they care covering Lethal Gold and carry Lethal White with a (Dominant?) Black (if so, that has lethals). I did not get any Browns from that pen but Martha did and they completely cover the Gold, White and Other. Highly lethal, hatching could be different to negate lethals (for further testing), so keep careful track of those browns from White Pen Eggs.

After I receive my new Bator, new project eggs from a different breeder will arrive and I am onward and forward and my own birds will wait until that project is well on its way. Have fun and grow them as Big as They Can Get.

The Egyptian White Golds? at 4 weeks old. Notice the female in the front and the Male in the back. Not my idea of an Egypian White Gold, but whatever.
17739_104_0424.jpg

Ok Fat Daddy here is the weights with 6 hours to go till they are 4 weeks old (hatched Midnight-1AM Mar 5). Jumbo Brown Females range 6.5-8.7oz and Males 5.9-7.7, got some work to do there. Egypian White Golds-Females 6.6-7.3 and Males 6.4-7.2 Oz. These are both F1 generation from eggs I hatched and raised, selected breeders and these are their babies. I only have 4 Egypian White Gold Females, so will hatch another set to cross to have 2 months separating them.
In the Browns I have 6 females, we'll see what they weigh at 6 weeks when I tag the best breeders and again at 7 weeks. Who knows that little 6.5 OZ just may surprise me, it has happened before at 7 weeks.
Also, in this hatch was one Egypian Gold and 3 Browns carrying the E. Gold bloodline. They have to be pulled from the mix at 5 weeks old, when those Browns can be detected easier.

As you know I am stumped on what to call them as Daddy is not an Egyptian Gold or a Brown, but look at his chicks. So for now I am settling on Egypian White Gold. I can see about 3 ways for each of you to go with them. Have fun. Martha, you got them to hatch, I will be sending you more in a few weeks. Then please pass them around.

Last edited:
Well, I just got done weighing my birds at exactly 4 weeks. The heaviest birds were 8.1 oz. There were several, including one roo. The lightest was 7.6, there were 2, both hens... go figure. The weights were closer together than I expected. My last coturnix were in the 6 oz range at 5 weeks and never broke 11 oz. These are hungry, happy birds that are glad to see you open the food bin!!! They are gaining a average of 2 oz a week. Hope it continues for a while... Bill

Well, I just got done weighing my birds at exactly 4 weeks. The heaviest birds were 8.1 oz. There were several, including one roo. The lightest was 7.6, there were 2, both hens... go figure. The weights were closer together than I expected. My last coturnix were in the 6 oz range at 5 weeks and never broke 11 oz. These are hungry, happy birds that are glad to see you open the food bin!!! They are gaining a average of 2 oz a week. Hope it continues for a while... Bill

oh, it has continued my friend... it has continued

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...t-with-history-discussion-pictures-and-videos

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom