How about a new thread for those of us in wheelchairs?

LadyCedar

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hope I am posting this in the right place.....I don't suggest this as a form of "segregation", being in a wheelchair, I know I have unique issues with farming, raising chickens, and pretty well everything I do in life.....
So Folks, anyone out there want to talk about how we can live our dreams with our wheels on?
LadyCedar

I recall reading on BYC about a man that built a special coop for his wheel chair bound wife. I wish I could recall where I saw it. He made a coop that was elevated to proper height so his wife could roll right up to it. I think it may have had a wide sliding door, so she could handle cleaning it without a lot of reaching.

It was such a wonderful thing for him to do for her and permitted her to enjoy her birds close up. There were other improvements he made so she was able to feed & water birds as well as spending time with them.

What a great idea for a thread - people needing walkers, etc. would certainly benefit from an exchange of ideas also, of how to independently care for their flock, or rabbits, or whatever brings them satisfaction and pleasure.

You are very welcome

I'm not tech savvy so I don't know how to post links. I did some searches on BYC and didn't come up with much but, I visited the COOPS forum and found threads with some tips and suggestions(among other chicken talk)

"Top tips & ideas for "Dream" coop or barn (handicap accessible)"

"Handicap Coop (2012)"

"Has anyone thought about building handicap accessible coops" (2011)

Things to consider are: pavement , ramp or suitable path so wheelchair doesn't get stuck in mud, chicken poo etc.

Rather than square shaped coops, long, narrow ones so you can reach in for cleaning, feeding etc.

I am wondering if a coop area inside a garage would be good for areas with frequent inclement weather, rather than trying to get a wheelchair through ice and snow. One suggestion was to use one of the smaller scooter type vehicles.

Oh well - not done by any means, I tried googling which didn't do much. I kind of lock in on things (stubbornly) and will keep looking/trying till I find better advice. I will be back.

I'm surprised there isn't more info -ideas available. I'm one of the zillion baby boomers and travel by seniors bus. Most of the ladies (outnumber men greatly)
on the bus, have the assorted problems, wheelchairs, walkers, canes, arthritic conditions. Our township has 4 buses all with wheelchair lifts. I know some builders are dedicated to making accessible housing for the aging population.

You can buy wheelchair accessible cars, vans, RV's if your lottery numbers come up. But what about people trying to survive in this economy? I am going to pick brains in other threads I patronize and ask them to please post here. Surely there must be chickeners who are also architects or smart cookies who can figure out how to repurpose articles to make them easy to use.

Way past my bedtime - I shall return.

Last edited:
Hi Chicksoup,
please do continue your story. As for me, being handicapped I get frustrated with some of my family saying we can't do it, we don't have the $$, and it is me, the one that can't make my body do what it should, who has to figure it out......
My partner has farming in his history, but more with horses than mixed farming, and I am lucky to have both in my past. It is a real challenge as our little farm has lain fallow and unworked for decades, and just getting in the infra-structure is a long hard haul.....didn't feel like a farm until we got the first coop up and running and the 20 Ladies settled in.....poor city folks don't get to enjoy the simple pleasures, like looking out a barn door on the coldest night of the year, 54 horse behind you, just finished night feeds, and the warmth of them, and the smell of a clean barn, the contented shuffling and munching hay, full moon on the snow and everything has a blue light to it.....heaven......

I an not in a chair but I am disabled. I cant hall feed in an out of the coop an I cant hall bedding in an out ether..

My plan is to build a vacuum system. I am going to run a peace of 3 inch PVC the length of my coop an out the wall. Every section will have a capped T.. To put bedding in I will put the barrel top vacuum in that section an hook it to the T. Back the truck up to the spot the pipe comes out of the wall an hook a vacuum hose to it. Then I just vacuum the bedding out of the truck an then dump the bedding on the floor when the vacuum is full. Cleaning out will be the reverse. The vacuum will be on a barrel in the bed of the truck an the hose will hook to the T... I will make feeders that the vacuum top fits on an then fill the feeders the same way.... The pipe will be at roost height too so it has another use...

Hi I see you are online I hope my sites are an interest for you, and my comments on scooters. Buying a vehicle large enough to be able to load an intact medium scooter into it is a no no, if you are on only the pension as they cost too much to run and are too big an cumbersome for the disabled person to drive about in town centres. There is enough room for two portable scooters and my shopping in my Daewoo car. Two medium scooters would fit with assistance of the second person, as it would take longer to manoeuvre two large scooters into a small car. As far as a chicken coop goes, when I used to breed the birds I had a super cheap carport frame with a canvas roof over it, and cages up at waist height to keep the growing chicks in. Every thing was automatic the water, ceramic heaters and feeders, and I used diamond cut shredded news paper for litter. With a medium size scooter for riding into town with and a portable one that I leave in my car for instant use, when I am in a hurry or the weather is not good or I need to buy more than the big scooter can carry in one trip, and one just for doing my gardening and chicken work on. I don't need to use public transport which like you say has no means for wheel chair use within. Here in Alice Springs the government pays Taxi Drivers reasonable fee on top of the fare to pick up wheel chairs and scooters for transport. But the poor taxpayer has to foot the bill for the service in the long run, so I don't use it, unless my car is out of action We have a lot of taxi vans here with lifting plates on the back and they lift you sitting on the scooter into the van. Don't take notice of people who say if you get a wheel chair you wont be able to walk at all after a while! The gentle bouncing you get from a good ride into town on a comfortable scooter is very up lifting and health giving and will change your whole outlook on life again for you. A ride on a scooter will blow out the cobwebs just as well as a long walk would, if you could go for a long walk that is, and you don't damage your frame in the process. The Americans proved in trials years ago when mini trampoline first came out for use, that just gently bouncing a non walking patient on a trampoline 20 mins a day gave the health benefits of a walk. I can certainly feel the difference a good ride into town, makes when I am feeling Off,

I would love to be able to get a motorized type of transportation for Mike. He has COPD that has progressed to the point that even walking 'with' oxygen is hardly an option any more. We are not in a 'higher income bracket' so pretty much depend on his Disabilty insurance to help us out. But, since he can still walk, nothing but a walker is approved.....

My DD & SIL are actively searching for a piece of property that they can do some homesteading on. She wants Mike & I to join them in their endeavor. SIL says he going to buy a riding mower and make Mike Chief Lawn Mower. Mike is SO excited!

Hope I am posting this in the right place.....I don't suggest this as a form of "segregation", being in a wheelchair, I know I have unique issues with farming, raising chickens, and pretty well everything I do in life.....
So Folks, anyone out there want to talk about how we can live our dreams with our wheels on?
LadyCedar

Good idea I need a chair, but not all the time, I have M.E and have days where I can't walk because of my balance and energy levels
Try to avoid using a chair as I feel defeatist but needs musts, its a chair or stay in bed!

Hello Pinkaboo! I soooo understand, I was more mobile about 4+ yrs ago, and I farmed decades ago when I was still able to get around this just canes. Have you done anything different with your coops? May I ask if your health issues have changed anything about the way you do things....mine have! I will share if you would like me to?
LadyCedar

Back
Top Bottom