How about watermelon and cantaloupe seeds?

I threw my chickens out a WHOLE watermelon, the first one they had ever seen, of course it burst when i threw it on the ground! I even went the extra mile and broke it up in smaller sections .. they anxiously awaited to see what it was .. I moved back to watch they walked over .. looked it over turned up their noses and walked away!!!
I'm thinking really? That's a GOOD watermelon .. a little over ripe but I've eat many that were (no I'm not a chicken) could that be why they wouldn't touch it?
Do I need to remove it from the yard? Chances of them eating it are slim but I don't want them to "decide" to eat it after it's spoiled?
:welcome hello:frow

I can hardly get through the gate into the run if they see watermelon in my hands. They jump up waist high and try to sneak a bite as I carry it to the back of the run. Yes, watermelon is a popular item. I do cut it into wedges as if serving to kids. Nothing but the skin of the rind left when they are done.

my chciekn love yellow mellon and water mellon seeds more than the fruit itself so yes they can just make sure they have grit to grind all that down

Back
Top Bottom