How are you suppose to raise turkey poults?

black star

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Some time ago i had some turkey chicks and they keep on dying,so i did a little digging and some people told me "it was the chickens spreading some diseases" or"the wind changing directions" and"keep them of the ground" and so forth.So now i am here, asking somebody who has experience raising turkeys.Tell me start to finish,turkey 101,how to pen them, what to do and what not to do,etc,etc

Hmm. Depends a lot on the breed as well as the environment. What were they dying of? You need to know to be able to tackle it.

What were the symptoms?

Everything means something, even if it doesn't seem to. Turkey 101 depends on what breed you have, so for heavy production commercial meat breeds it's different than for heritage breeds or random mongrels...

I can only offer advice on mongrels. I had mongrels made up of some black-eyed-whites, bourbons, buffs, blacks, and some incredibly inbred ancient heritage line. No heavy duty producers like broad-breasted commercial ones, not that mine were very narrow but they weren't total meat breeds either. Some of mine had some bantam genetics from the terribly inbred line. Actually most lines I was able to get were terribly inbred, some people thought inbreeding "didn't matter with birds". :/

But here are some basics I found, some of them found out the hard way:

They are mostly green feeders. Their livers are weaker than chickens' on average. The majority of all poultry deaths are due to digestive diseases, specifically those involving the liver, so take care of their livers as much as possible, and almost all health problems are eliminated as the liver takes care of the whole body.

So, raw dandelion, milkthistle, raw onion and garlic, some herbs and spices etc are all good foods for supporting livers... But fresh green grass, available for them to pick for themselves daily, as the bulk of their diet, will help their health so much it's incomparable to caged birds' health. Greens have chlorophyll which acts as a constant gentle detox. Whether you keep animals for pets, eggs, or meat, letting them get to forage will give them so much more health and their products so much cleaner and better a flavor, it's just about the only way to go --- if you're able to, that is. Some of us have to make do with cages, though. Even then supplying fresh greens is doable and highly recommendable.

Turkeys are preferably more vegetarian than meat eaters unlike chickens which do better with meat in their diets. This doesn't apply to specific breeds like meat breeds which need more protein and may have adapted to a meat based diet like intensive production chicken breeds which were developed in conjunction with a specific diet and don't do as well on most other diets. So for a vegetarian source of protein, millet seeds are great.

They are good with some animal proteins, like insects and eggs up to a point, but bear in mind that heart and cardiovascular diseases are quite common among poultry and other domestic species, and this is in large part because we tend to feed them the exact same diet we know to avoid as a staple in order to avoid heart disease in ourselves. Avoid having cooked oils and proteins as the staple diet if you want to avoid most diseases caused by them, but, it will take some research into avoiding it and using alternatives. If you keep your birds for your own health then this is obviously pretty vital, to make a pun out of it. Their health or sickness is ours as well.

To prevent deaths to Tuberculosis, I fed them hard boiled eggs with raw dandelion or raw onion for their first few weeks. They will let you know when they don't need it anymore.

To prevent deaths to Blackhead I only treat those that were so weak as to fail to overcome it themselves. I would wait until their poop was bright yellow and liquid, at which point they were voluntarily fasting, and I'd give them a cup of raw cow's milk which had had a teaspoon of honey mixed in and then had been allowed to sit for at least an hour. I'd scrape the fat off the top and give it to them and it'd fix up over 90% of them within 24 hours and their immunity to BH was lifelong. Breeding on strong ones led to, after a few generations, BH immune birds.

Since BH attacks the liver it's best to take them off grains and keep their diet as clean and alkaline as possible... Generally speaking, millet seeds and whole rolled oats are good at that point, and as much fresh green grass as they want, but avoid pellets, cooked foods, and animal proteins asides from that initial bit of raw milk. I would not use cooked/pasteurized milk, or homogenized milk, because cooked proteins and fats and homogenized milks are exactly what the liver does not need at that point and could kill the bird. Since goat's milk is naturally homogenized I suspect it may not work like cow's milk, but I don't know for sure.

I soaked all their grains overnight and basically just let the turkeys choose from among the same feeds the chooks got... So they'd have soaked grains and seeds, with freshly minced raw garlic more often than not, and all manner of spices from cayenne to black pepper to curry.

Raw garlic is very potent. It's a powerful natural antibiotic which doesn't harm their probiotic microorganisms, in fact it's a prebiotic as well and feeds them, or at least it feeds the beneficial ones. It has been used in hospitals to treat bacteria that are resistant or immune to the strongest artificial antibiotics.

It's high in sulfur, which builds up in their flesh and controls internal and external parasites after a while of them eating it regularly, as a bird can tolerate thousands of times the level that is fatal to a parasite. Sulfur is also anti-disease and aids in rapid healing. Raw garlic has over 34 antibiotic compounds but the strongest is Allicin which forms in response to damage to the cloves, and dissipates in a few hours or days, so fresh and raw is best, but any form of garlic will help. It's antiviral, antibiotic, antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, anticatarrhal, and basically anti everything unhealthy. Going to the extra little bit of effort to give my birds raw garlic regularly saved me a couple of worlds of trouble many people simply take for granted as being inevitable.

It's also anti-coccidiosis, I never had a single bird show symptoms much less die from it, because I fed raw garlic from day one of their lives (unless they started eating at day 2 which is pretty normal but you get what I mean, lol)...

I raised all my birds free range and naturally, no chemicals or anything artificial like that, and have (not counting a few predator deaths and a few losses to inherited Leukosis) a 100% ratio of chicks hatched making it to adulthood, in a mixed and free range integrated flock, kept on the same ground for year after year after year. So something is clearly working, lol. But if you're skeptical I understand, I was too initially; most people are too skeptical to even try it, they stick with conventional treatments which save some but not all rather than try something not commercially advertised and sponsored.

About the ground: I highly recommend you use hydrated agricultural lime powder and sprinkle the whole ground area, anywhere the birds go. It kills many damaging things like harmful fungi and bacteria and diseases and it burns parasite eggs to death.

I'd also put unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar (with the 'mother') in the water, in at least one water source, to help them (it does a whole host of good things for them, google it if you like or ask for more info). Fermenting or at least soaking their grains means they absorb much, much more of it, so it saves you feed costs and their health will be glowing.

Best wishes.

I forgot to mention i want to raise bourbon red,black Spanish and standard bronze

Ah, well what I mentioned should work for them, they're not any of the intensive production breeds as far as I know. Wish I could get me some good Black Spanish. I have heard they are beauties. I like black turkeys best myself, what with their rainbows of sheen all over their feathers.

Best wishes.

I really can't add anymore than what chooks4life posted, pretty much spot on.

I just wanted to say that I have black Spanish, and I adore them.

I do baby my poults much more than my chicks (if I'm brooding them, if they're with momma she takes care of them) but have never had any issues with them making it to adulthood.

Ours do get lots of greens (with grit), which can be anything from grass, clover or weeds from the yard or extras from our garden. Mine live in the chicken coop with no problems. The biggest disease worry for turkey is black head. The chickens can be carriers, but if its in your area, it lives in the soil. To find out if it will be a problem in your area, simply call your local Ag or health department and ask if there's been any reported cases in your area.

I keep mine of 24% game bird feed, which I sometimes ferment and sometimes not. They love it and do well on it either way (though they go through MUCH less feed when I ferment it).

Good luck to you, I hope you have some better luck this time! I love my turkeys, they're such funny, personable birds!

chooks4life Thanks you very much for so much info.if I have any questions i will let you know(if that is okay) thanks

Thanks, chooks4life for the Turkey Primer. I am really interested in the Garlic info. How much and how often do you give the Garlic? Does it work with chickens, too? How about ducks? Any advice on probiotics for Turkeys? I am medicating a Tom white broad-breasted for respiratory issues and know he's going to need his good bacteria replaced when he's done with the medication. I have been lacing his water with apple cider vinegar. I have never had turkeys before and got a couple BB's just for meat, but I am hooked on the big, goofy birds!
tongue.png

Thanks, chooks4life for the Turkey Primer. I am really interested in the Garlic info. How much and how often do you give the Garlic?

An average dose for maintenance is a clove per bird per day for a chook, you can add more with larger birds like turkeys. I generally give mine extra so any individuals who need more can get it, no squabbling over rations. In America it seems garlic's really expensive, it does fluctuate in price a lot. It may be worth looking into getting bulk tubs of garlic granules or crushed raw garlic for turkeys from the same online sources that supply horse keepers. For antibiotic application, raw and freshly minced or crushed is by far the best way to use it. For the ongoing parasite control even the dried stuff should do.

Does it work with chickens, too?

Yes, very much so. I originally started using garlic with my chooks back when I first got chooks and have experimented with and without it, and with and without kelp, and with and without ACV, over the years, and definitely using those three produces the best results, but also using natural insecticides like DE and liming the soil to control pathogens and parasite oocyst burdens, and soaking the grains, and free ranging them so they get a lot of greens, are also very, very important for health.

The DE you can swap out for other things but the rest of it is very hard or nigh-impossible to replace with anything as effective in my experience. I'm speaking as an Aussie there though, some places in America seem to have a lot of great alternative options.

Raising them under their mothers also does wonders for their immune systems, I'm a proponent of raising them outdoors from hatching onwards (they are both brooded and hatched outdoors too) wherever possible, but it can be difficult for some to do so due to circumstances, weather, etc.

How about ducks?

I haven't kept ducks personally, just geese and some natives in terms of waterfowl, but as far as I know it will also work with them. The source whose information I tested in originally giving them garlic, kelp etc also uses all of those for ducks. If you haven't read it, I recommend Juliette de Bairacli Levy's 'The Herbal Handbook For Farm And Stable'. She goes off into superstition sometimes, recounting folklore, but she was also a trained vet and I've used her information on herbs to save animal lives of quite a few animals in very bad states, from various species. She's not always 100% correct but very close to it. No authoritative source ever seems to be 100% correct no matter how much else they're right about; for example Levy didn't realize the dangers of asbestos as it was new when she was still around, but her herbal information is quite old and thoroughly tested all over the world. It's always best to keep 'doing your homework' no matter how well one thinks they know the subject. New information always comes to light over time.

During her time, J.d.B.L. traveled the world and recorded the herbal remedies people used for many illnesses and injuries across many species for thousands of years. Some of it I've been skeptical about but when I test it, it does work, though getting non-modern/non-commercial cultivar plants for it can be hard. Thankfully there's now a lot of people working to make more available the heritage plants etc. Modern plants are often weak and far less nutritious ripoffs of their ancestral state, so just because you know a plant is supposed to have a certain nutritional profile, doesn't mean you should trust that. Each plant and source needs to be proven. Some are worthless now, unfortunately...

Anyway, J.d.B.L. was famous in her time and treated the royals' dogs, horses etc of England, Italy and other royals' animals because her treatments for parvo and other illnesses were so successful.

Her herbal info saved my dog as a pup from an advanced case of parvo, he was almost dead by the time I got him (he's a feral/wild-born and bred dog so nobody could have intervened sooner, he only got caught because he was too ill to escape). He was so far gone any vet would have just put him down, his skull was almost half the length of his body due to the starvation, pooping clear watery liquid no matter what he ate, but he's in shining health today and you'd never know he had such a terrible setback.

I used her treatment as described in that book title I mentioned to save him, though I did find a difference in that the barleywater she describes can be hard to supply as the barley you can easily get these days has been modified by modern agriculture so that instead of being alkaline, some modern barleys are acid, and so will not serve the purpose necessary, which is to cleanse and support the kidneys especially. Asides from that difference it worked great, he immediately made a turn around in condition and thrived from then on despite having been severely emaciated with brain, heart and GI tract damage which lasted until he was over a year old before it healed, so extensive was the harm done.

Any advice on probiotics for Turkeys?

I am medicating a Tom white broad-breasted for respiratory issues and know he's going to need his good bacteria replaced when he's done with the medication. I have been lacing his water with apple cider vinegar. I have never had turkeys before and got a couple BB's just for meat, but I am hooked on the big, goofy birds!
tongue.png

You don't need much ACV to help them, generally it's a good idea to have plain water also available.

As for probiotics, I've never used any proprietary formulas with them but plain yoghurt and other natural sources (i.e. raw honey, raw cow's milk, slippery elm bark powder which like raw honey is both antibiotic and probiotic), but then again I've not used artificial antibiotics on them, so it may be worth just looking up what conventional farmers or turkey keepers give them to recover their gut health after artificial antibiotics as they can be pretty devastating, especially to those extra-susceptible individuals which unfortunately we don't spot until the damage is done.

A healthy and largely raw diet goes a very long way healthwise, as cooked oils, proteins and fats are generally things that should only ever be consumed in small amounts and not as a staple. Easier said than done though when looking for the ideal and still convenient diet for them, especially when you're a beginner or have a very tight budget.

Turkeys even more than chickens are sensitive to liver-toxic things and require more natural proteins and greens for full health. Otherwise, just like us, they tend to develop cardiovascular diseases and fatty liver syndrome etc, but if culled young enough will still be healthy enough. Animals that live on pellets, mash or crumble alone don't tend to be very healthy overall, or will only look well for short time spans up to the usual cull date, so the more natural foods you can get into their diet the better. Also, 'complete' foods are rarely that despite what the label says, extra nutrition is quite often needed for longevity.

Obviously a lot of this depends on what you want from them, long life, breeding, or just a few months of raising then eating, pets, livestock, both, whatever.

Some antibiotics permanently destroy gut fauna/flora and prevent these populations of microorganisms from ever returning, so if the animal remains in lesser health after antibiotic use it can be either due to that or due to damage from the ailment the antibiotics were used to cure, or both. For such animals extra nutrition and in more digestible forms can sometimes manage the shortfall.

They are rather decent livestock, I like them too. They can also make surprisingly sweet-natured pets. Best wishes with them.

Back
Top Bottom