Oops - Baby Chicks or Baby Turkey Poults ?

Thank you @MysteryChicken & @Rose the Legbar.
We want to do the right thing for these youngins'
I don't do anything real special for meat turkeys. They really don't need a really high protein feed to grow huge. They do fine on a 20% Chick feed or Flock Raiser. Biggest I raised for a friend was 51lbs, live weight. These were fed flock Raiser from day 1.

I don't do anything real special for meat turkeys. They really don't need a really high protein feed to grow huge. They do fine on a 20% Chick feed or Flock Raiser. Biggest I raised for a friend was 51lbs, live weight. These were fed flock Raiser from day 1.
Broad breasted poults need the high protein turkey feed even more so than heritage poults for proper development. Failure to provide the needed nutrition promotes development of leg problems which they can be prone to.

They don't need to be on the high protein feed as long as heritage poults. The problem is the lower protein feeds don't have the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin they need for proper development.

Adult BB turkeys definitely don't need the the hig protein feed even found in flock raiser. If you want to keep BB turkeys around long term, feed them Purina's Game Bird Maintenace feed which is 12% protein and give them lots of exercise. Free ranging them also helps.

Broad breasted poults need the high protein turkey feed even more so than heritage poults for proper development. Failure to provide the needed nutrition promotes development of leg problems which they can be prone to.

They don't need to be on the high protein feed as long as heritage poults. The problem is the lower protein feeds don't have the higher amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin they need for proper development.

Adult BB turkeys definitely don't need the the hig protein feed even found in flock raiser. If you want to keep BB turkeys around long term, feed them Purina's Game Bird Maintenace feed which is 12% protein and give them lots of exercise. Free ranging them also helps.
I've been doing this for 4 years without any big problems with the BB Turkeys. Recently have started Free Ranging them also.

I've been doing this for 4 years without any big problems with the BB Turkeys. Recently have started Free Ranging them also.
They will do better if you feed them properly as poults. Give them a good high protein turkey or game bird starter for the first 4 weeks. It isn't so much about the high protein as it is about the lysine, methionine and niacin.

Thank you to everyone. We called the store and they want us to bring them in and exchange them. Our current setup will not accommodate turkeys - our house and run is sized for egg layers.
Can anyone advise if we will be OK to keep the (3) chicks that are now 4 weeks old and add (13) 1 week old chicks in with them ?
This is heartbreaking - we are attached to all of them, they are all so vibrant, curious, healthy & happy !

Thank you to everyone. We called the store and they want us to bring them in and exchange them. Our current setup will not accommodate turkeys - our house and run is sized for egg layers.
Can anyone advise if we will be OK to keep the (3) chicks that are now 4 weeks old and add (13) 1 week old chicks in with them ?
This is heartbreaking - we are attached to all of them, they are all so vibrant, curious, healthy & happy !
When you add the new chicks, watch them for awhile to make sure there is no bullying. It is common for slightly older chicks to "mother" younger ones.

They will do better if you feed them properly as poults. Give them a good high protein turkey or game bird starter for the first 4 weeks. It isn't so much about the high protein as it is about the lysine, methionine and niacin.
The feed I feed have a good amount of those nutrients.
Not entirely sure what you mean by better, since the turkeys I've raised have been excellent.

Only issue I've had with meat turkeys was back in 2022 when one was suffering a heart attack(Heart problems are common with meat birds), Last year I had a feed problem, there was a Riboflavin issue with it, caused 2 Silkies to suffer from Curled Toe Paralysis, same with 1 of my new Turkeys that had just started Free Ranging. Ended up treating those affected birds successfully.

I have added chicks in when the elder were 4 weeks. No issues. The new chicks just need to be able to move so they don't get stepped on.

I would not.. at 4 weeks old they're into the pecking order and have different heat requirements.. 3 weeks is usually the max recommendation.

The big difference in numbers may play to the advantage of the new chicks though.. slightly overwhelming (confusing) the 3 elders (might even be a little scared at first).. and spreading any pecking around rather than being over focused on a small number of individuals. And the older ones can move into or out of the heat as needed and sleep more at the edge.

So with my second paragraph.. I actually might. but.. there are dynamics that will have to be paid attention to and adjusted if needed. It can probably be done.

Turkey are much different than chickens.. much more "friendly" in your face curious, confidently (stupid).. easy to get attached, until they start ripping your fingers off when your not paying attention or ganging up on a chicken, dog, etc.. Gotta love em all! Surely your new chick experience will quickly refill your heart. I hope you end up with something still fun and your flock continues to thrive. Can't say I would "want" to make the exchange or consider it fair.. but being able to roll with it and having options IS fantastic. :hugs

I'm not surprised they will take them back as they can probably get more money for them than they can for chicks.

Turkeys are special & I know how attached one can get to them :hugs

Back
Top Bottom