How can I get my chickens to eat from this feeder?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I just set up two feeders like this for my chickens yesterday but they've been ignoring it for the most part. I already have a step feeder that the bigger chickens can access but I got this for the smaller birds. I saw two of them use it yesterday but one of the chickens pecked at them and scared them away. They free range so now they're mostly just eating leaves. I try and scatter feed around the feeder but they just eat the feed and leave.

images.jpeg

I saw two of them use it yesterday but one of the chickens pecked at them and scared them away.

They may just need more time. Sometimes it takes several days or even weeks for chickens to get used to something new.

But since they tried it on the first day and got pecked, they may now think it is unsafe.

If a chicken puts its head into that feeder to eat, it cannot see another chicken coming to peck it, so it has no chance to get away. (This would matter more for chickens at the bottom of the pecking order, and less for chickens at the top.)

If they think the feeder is unsafe because they cannot see and they get pecked, I'm not sure what to do. Putting the feeder somewhere less visible might help a bit (like around a corner or behind a board), or it might not.

They may just need more time. Sometimes it takes several days or even weeks for chickens to get used to something new.

But since they tried it on the first day and got pecked, they may now think it is unsafe.

If a chicken puts its head into that feeder to eat, it cannot see another chicken coming to peck it, so it has no chance to get away. (This would matter more for chickens at the bottom of the pecking order, and less for chickens at the top.)

If they think the feeder is unsafe because they cannot see and they get pecked, I'm not sure what to do. Putting the feeder somewhere less visible might help a bit (like around a corner or behind a board), or it might not.
That was my thinking too. We have three RIRs and 6 cream legbars and the RIRs are constantly pecking at the cream legbars and not letting them eat. I tried to fence off these feeders and separate them but the cream legbars are probably scared now to stick their head in them.

Edit: I did see a different cream legbar eat from the feeder but only when the RIRs are away. I usually go out and feed them 4x a day but I made the mistake of thinking I could transition to these right away. Maybe I'll just slowly wean them off of relying on me to feed them by reducing the amount of times I go out there to make sure they won't starve and give them time to get used to the new feeders.

Last edited:
That was my thinking too. We have three RIRs and 6 cream legbars and the RIRs are constantly pecking at the cream legbars and not letting them eat. I tried to fence off these feeders and separate them but the cream legbars are probably scared now to stick their head in them.

Is it possible to make a space where only the legbars can go?

I'm thinking of maybe a fence with openings the Legbars can squeeze through, and the Rhode Island Reds cannot. (I don't know if the RIR are enough bigger than the Legbar for this to work.)

Or maybe a raised feeder, if the Legbars can fly higher than the RIR (maybe sitting the current feeder on top of a table.)

Of course you could separate them into different pens, but I'm guessing you already thought of that and would prefer not to.

Having lots of places to eat can help, as can open feeders, so the Legbars can snatch a few bites when the RIR aren't looking or aren't close. But based on the feeder you show and the one you mentioned, it looks like you are trying to avoid wasted feed or feed eaten by other animals, so having multiple open feeders might be a big step the wrong way for that goal.

(I don't see any obvious solutions, so I just mentioned several things that popped into my head, in case one or another of them gives you any useful ideas.)

Is it possible to make a space where only the legbars can go?

I'm thinking of maybe a fence with openings the Legbars can squeeze through, and the Rhode Island Reds cannot. (I don't know if the RIR are enough bigger than the Legbar for this to work.)

Or maybe a raised feeder, if the Legbars can fly higher than the RIR (maybe sitting the current feeder on top of a table.)

Of course you could separate them into different pens, but I'm guessing you already thought of that and would prefer not to.

Having lots of places to eat can help, as can open feeders, so the Legbars can snatch a few bites when the RIR aren't looking or aren't close. But based on the feeder you show and the one you mentioned, it looks like you are trying to avoid wasted feed or feed eaten by other animals, so having multiple open feeders might be a big step the wrong way for that goal.

(I don't see any obvious solutions, so I just mentioned several things that popped into my head, in case one or another of them gives you any useful ideas.)
Thank you, I appreciate that. Unfortunately, they're not much smaller than the RIRs and one of the RIRs is actually quite small but still very feisty and will bully them. I think they'll just have to sneak in a few bites here and there when the RIRs aren't looking. My RIRs act like brats and only seem interested in taking other chickens' food even when there's plenty of food to go around. Yeah, there's a lot of wasted feed when I feed them because sometimes they'll eat more than other times, or it attracts rats and sparrows. I think I'll just have to slowly phase out of owning RIRs and get friendlier breeds next time lol

Me too it's raised up . It took some time to get them all used to it. I have mine backed up to fence and it's around the corner from through feeder. This feeder is full of all flick , through is full of layer feed. Wet mash is served in 8 different places in run.

Edit: I did see a different cream legbar eat from the feeder but only when the RIRs are away. I usually go out and feed them 4x a day but I made the mistake of thinking I could transition to these right away. Maybe I'll just slowly wean them off of relying on me to feed them by reducing the amount of times I go out there to make sure they won't starve and give them time to get used to the new feeders.
I'm a total newbie, but when selecting my 5 (no, 6, no 8!) breeds for compatibility, I read a couple places that my dad's favorite RIRs were likely mean girls in a mixed flock, so I passed. I would be heartbroken if my lovely & absolutely friendliest (but smallest of them all) Cream Legbar, Mellie, got Hen-pecked away!

Why don't chickens like these PVC bucket feeders? One reason, eye placement. When you look at an animal pay attention to the eye placement. Predators like hawks, humans, cats, dogs, all have eyes on the front of their skull so they have binocular vision for excellent depth perception. Eyes are close together basically and aimed forward only. Prey animals like cattle, chickens, rabbits and the like only survive and pass on their genes if their eyes are on the side of their head. They eyes are far apart. Much wider visual range to spot predators coming after them. You watch a rabbit that freezes on the lawn, he looks at you sideways, not straight on. Watch a cat stalking, facing straight ahead. Prey animals are also constantly on guard, head on a swivel, fast jerky movements.

With that said, you are asking a prey animal that is genetically coded to be aware of its surroundings to stick it's head chest deep in a dang hole. They aren't going to ever be comfortable, especially in a free range situation.

However, hunger is a powerful motivator for chickens. If you are willing to show some tough love, put the feeders in place and provide no other feed, the chickens are guaranteed not to starve themselves to death. Usually a half day and they will trample their grandma to use a feeder. If they can scratch up old feed out of the litter or fill up on grass, might take longer.

Back
Top Bottom