How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
I may have to get air conditioning in my coop, we are expected to get above freezing next week, and it has been a long time at zero and below, the heat might stress my girls?
LOLOLOLOLOL....I'm from there and can totally relate!!!

I remember when we were kids, we use to go outside in T-shirts to play when the weather warmed up to a balmy zero degrees!

In the teens here and will be subzero here in a couple of days.....the chooks don't seem to mind.

Such beautiful hens, they look so fat, sassy, fluffy, spoiled and healthy!

And great photography too!!!!!

Your parrots are also lovely. I've never seen parrots in snow before. I love the contrast between the vivid colors of the parrots against the pristine white snow!

Last edited:
Ok we survived our really first night of serious cold ...10 degrees ...they are fine and seemed to stay in coop most of day. .perfect ..water heater is working and treats and food too inside coop ..so basically all is good ..oddly enough ..this Monday they are calling for it to be 70 degrees ...my chickens are probably so confused lol

I love the jabs at other peoples climates on here, this group is a flock of hens. Through. And. Through. And I love it. My chickens are doing ok in the freezing temps. We have a water bowl that prevents the water from freezing and I love it. 1 quart size for 4 chickens.
26c4.png
1f3bf.png
1f3c2.png
1f499.png

I don't plan on using the heat lamp this year. All the birds I have left are all cold hardy breeds so they should be fine. We do get nasty windchills off the water but my coop always seems to be quite cozy no matter the weather.

I love the jabs at other peoples climates on here, this group is a flock of hens. Through. And. Through. And I love it. My chickens are doing ok in the freezing temps. We have a water bowl that prevents the water from freezing and I love it. 1 quart size for 4 chickens.
26c4.png
1f3bf.png
1f3c2.png
1f499.png
Hi Henny Jenny (I cackle loudly
D.gif
) I have heated bowls too (1.5 gallon sized each), they work really well, I really love them, I have 4 of them, 2 for water and two for feed. I feed a wet mash and do not want the feed to freeze. So far they are working beautifully.

Last edited:
My 4 chickens have a 7 by 9 ft coop covered with heavy clear plastic and ventilated. In a few nights the weather is supposed to turn ugly here in Pueblo CO with a low of -14 degrees ferenheit! They've survived nights that get down to 0 but it hasn't gotten any lower than that yet. I'm wondering if anyone else has had chickens in such low temperatures?

My 4 chickens have a 7 by 9 ft coop covered with heavy clear plastic and ventilated. In a few nights the weather is supposed to turn ugly here in Pueblo CO with a low of -14 degrees ferenheit! They've survived nights that get down to 0 but it hasn't gotten any lower than that yet. I'm wondering if anyone else has had chickens in such low temperatures?

Read through some of the posts around here. I've seen folks with regular lows of -20F and lower. One person had a confirmed report of chickens surviving at -46F without any heat. So -14F is balmy in comparison. Your ventilation is great as it will keep it dry inside the coop, which is more important than keeping it warm.

Personally, we've had our chickens do just fine down to -9F, which is the coldest it has gotten since we've acquired chickens.

They have DOWN coats!

If they've been able to acclimate to the temps, their bodies are ready for the cold. If they've been given heat lamps, they will not be acclimated nor as well prepared for the cold should the power go out.

Some people say to given them heat if it REGULARLY gets to -20F. Others say -40F. Also remember, that it will be warmer inside the coop by several to many degrees because of the body heat of the chickens themselves.

Back
Top Bottom