How cold is too cold?

Pics
It doesn't get very cold here in Georgia but the other night as it fell to 12°F (negative with the wind chill, that wind was intense), I went to check on my 6 EEs and I could see that they were visibly uncomfortable. This is my first year of having chickens, their first winter, first coop... so I'm learning a lot. I really had no idea how warm they'd stay but just in case I had the coop packed full, the vents closed a bit to try to keep out the draft, cardboard around the run to keep wind from whipping up inside and around the coop, a tarp over the roof... I was in full panic mode, haha. I tried to put petroleum jelly on their combs/waddles but they were being weird about me putting stuff on them. Figured it was worth a try. They were out of the wind and their coop was dry.

But still, they looked so miserable I went ahead and brought them in. Even my feistiest girl (who'll avoid me picking her up and will pinch me because she's a brat and the boss of the group) huddled into my arms like a big baby when I scooped her out of the coop. Each let me cuddle them as I brought them inside (and really only two of my six are cuddly so that says a lot to me). I like to err on the side of caution myself. It at least eases my anxiety and helps me sleep at night. Plus, I like to save money so usually it's only in the 50s Fahrenheit in my own home so they still get some cold. And it's not too different from the 30s-40s outside usually is.
I have one who HATES to be handled, when she lets me pick her up I start praying for her. She is in rough shape by the time we get to that.

Have yours been eating?

I am having a hard time getting them to eat. Unfortunately they are still laying, so this will not last and I am worried about illness.
I’m not sure if you mean in general or someone specific? Mine have continued to eat well through this.

I really hope yours are not sick, maybe the weather really scared them and they will eat when they feel safe? I hope that is the case.

I spoiled mine with many things they love. That stops as of tomorrow though. They really loved the peas and suet cake most. I ran out of meal worms.

My temps were 0 with -22 wind chill. The coop never got below 10.

Last edited:
Have yours been eating?

I am having a hard time getting them to eat. Unfortunately they are still laying, so this will not last and I am worried about illness.
For the past few days, with the wind chill, it has been around -28F and it hasn't appeared to have affected my girls in the least bit, they all still lay daily. To get them going I give them warm oatmeal in the morning and do a couple of healthy treats throughout the day. The treats I choose usually consist of fresh veggies, greens (mustard greens and kale) and black oil sunflower seeds. Occasionally, I'll hang a head of cabbage as it helps keep them moving and warm.

They get bored and "blah" in the winter so, you've got to mix it up a little. Try feeding yours something warm in the morning and something fresh and green throughout the day to see if it triggers their appetite.

I have one who HATES to be handled, when she lets me pick her up I start praying for her. She is in rough shape by the time we get to that.
I have 2 that hate to be picked up.
Have yours been eating?

Mine havent been eating a lot i dont know why. If i hand feed them they will eat a ton, i dont know whats their problem.

For the past few days, with the wind chill, it has been around -28F and it hasn't appeared to have affected my girls in the least bit, they all still lay daily. To get them going I give them warm oatmeal in the morning and do a couple of healthy treats throughout the day. The treats I choose usually consist of fresh veggies, greens (mustard greens and kale) and black oil sunflower seeds. Occasionally, I'll hang a head of cabbage as it helps keep them moving and warm.

They get bored and "blah" in the winter so, you've got to mix it up a little. Try feeding yours something warm in the morning and something fresh and green throughout the day to see if it triggers their appetite.
Mine love to eat anything in the spring summer and fall now i can only get them to eat watermelon, boonworms and some of their feed.

Back
Top Bottom