How did you add a dust bath to your brooder?

I use a casserole dish and dirt from the run. I dry out the dirt first and then add a bit of sand.

Looks a little like dinner, doesn't it?
wink.png

I am adding a question:

My chicks try to dust bath in the shavings, but it's winter here! (LOL) And the snow melt makes EVERYTHING wet- forget getting dirt from the yard! Cheap alternatives or free? I was thinking potting soil from a plant?
Psstt don't tell Mom!
gig.gif

Well I've got no place to crawl and their is NO WAY I am picking all the fertilizer pellets out lol. That'd take forever....haha.

Maybe some play sand, but I'm also broke..

OH! Wait! I have sand in my chicken coop for them to dust in! I betcha I can use that! DUH!

Oh mercy! I never even thought about the chicks needing to dust bathe, too. This is my first experience with tiny chicks, although I've had chickens, which we raised from pullet age. Is it dangerous to put a bit of wood ash in with the dirt, like we did for our grown hens? Maybe their respiratory systems aren't mature enough yet? We, I'm so thankful I ran across this thread!

ok so y'all like them frozen cream puff things, but I kinda think Ritz may want to know what are you putting IN the empty containers for the chicks to dust in?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom