How did you get into college?

Chicks & Turks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
So I'm a junior now so I figured it's well time to start getting into college applications and financial aid. I'd like to go to Unity University in Maine, but NC state is cheaper and has a great animal science course. I'd like to be an Avian vet, but don't know what schools would be good. How do you even get started with this?

Start by talking to your guidance counselor. S/he should have all the current information on course requirements for whatever school you are interested in, as well as be able to help you locate financing, point out which schools offer what you want, etc. Then visit those schools online and read, read, read. Most schools seem to have their entire catalog online now, which makes it a whole lot easier to sift through their requirements, costs, processes, etc.

Good hunting!

Rusty

You'll need to do well in Chemistry and science. If you can get into a University, wonderful.
If you can't take the classes at a local community college that will transfer to a good university.

Look at the in-state programs first - in-state tuition is sooooooo much cheaper

from someone who's still paying off college loans 10 years post-graduation

The first steps to take are picking a school to begin your undergrad degree and applying for admission and financial aid. You will typically spend 3-4 years in undergrad before applying to vet school. After vet school, you would then go on to additional schooling if you chose to become an avian vet. Sometimes, you can get into vet school with less than a Bachelor's degree, but it can be very competitive.

First things first, decide on a school to start your undergrad degree and get your general education requirements underway. Pre-reqs for vet school vary somewhat by the school and your undergrad degree can really be in almost anything as long as the pre-reqs are filled. In addition to getting started in school, extracurriculars like volunteer work are very important as is shadowing one or more vets. The sooner you start, the better.

As far as financial aid, it can vary by the school, but the basic process is essentially the same. You have to apply online for a pin number and then file your FAFSA (can be done online as well). When you file the FAFSA, you can submit it electronically to like six schools I believe. This is the standard application that all schools use. Some also have their own additional application as well. You will have to check with your school's financial aid office.

Also, check out the vet and pre-vet forums on Student Doctor. There is a wealth of information there. HTH!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php

Back
Top Bottom