How do I befriend my new peachicks

X2. You have to work with them a lot to do what I do. I know some zoos have some people that do shows with peafowl tethered but their tether is different then my tether. Their tether has a circle wrapped in leather and tied to the bird's leg and they have leather thread with a clip to clip to the loop. Mine is a loop that connects the leg goes into and then I tighten the loop to the leg. It's not tight enough to cut off blood circulation. The zoos work with their birds. You always have to be cautious, peafowl are animals and at any moment they can go to their instinct. You have to be ready for it. The only part that I'm cautious about are small children. Mainly because they see peacock and want to pull feathers.

Could you send me a pic of what the tether looks like to attach to the leg?
I like the idea and think it would be great for my older more calm birds. The peachicks are a bit to crazy still.

Could you send me a pic of what the tether looks like to attach to the leg?
I like the idea and think it would be great for my older more calm birds. The peachicks are a bit to crazy still.

Here you go. I have some tether slack under my arm if you're wondering why the thread looks smaller. The young chicks you can get tame easier than adults. I was able to get the White peacock that was never handled tame within a month and kept him used to human interaction for the last 2 months and then at fair I won Grand Champion in Showmanship and Grand Champion in Quality. Have it so they stay perched on your arm and keep them there and pet them don't let them fly off and work with them for a while. The better they behave the less time you need to spend getting them tame.
The knot before the loop can make the loop grow or shrink. I can teach you how to tie the loop like I do. Because there are two types of knots that can make this loop. I can make a video to show how it works.

I just tried the egg in wet crumbles and my oeas were eating off the spoon! That totally worked.
Do you cook the egg or no?
Also, it's easier to cradle my baby peas like a baby but is it unhealthy for them to be on their backs? My older peas lay on their sides and fan their wings out...I assume to get a little tan lol but is all the on their backbad for them?

I just tried the egg in wet crumbles and my oeas were eating off the spoon! That totally worked.
Also, it's easier to cradle my baby peas like a baby but is it unhealthy for them to be on their backs? My older peas lay on their sides and fan their wings out...I assume to get a little tan lol but is all the on their backbad for them?
Cook the eggs in my opinion because there is the chance of Salmonella. I don't know about unhealthy but unnatural yes. My young peachicks I have them perch on my arm but hold them close to your body.

I hate to hijack this thread but I'm new and can't start my own threads.
At what age do peas imprint?
What's the best way to facilitate that?
As chicks it's any age. After they are 3 to 4 months old I believe they won't imprint on you. Feeding them, handling them does the trick. You're not really hijacking the thread really since this is the bonding part with peafowl. You can get them tame when you want. I have a White peacock I bought when he was 1 year old when they don't imprint and got him tame in a month kept him used to me and within the three months of owning him we won Grand Champion in Showmanship and Grand Champion in Quality as well.

With my babies I put one part scrambled egg and two parts medicated chick starter in a small blender. It makes the crumbles softer and they can't get enough of it. It also helps if you let them run out of feed before hand feeding them, once they start to slow down give them enough to last until you come back and do it again. We have lots of fresh eggs and with the older chicks i just use raw egg, they eat it like little piranhas.

Back
Top Bottom