How do I dispose of raccoon if i trap one?

JulieNKC

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City
Ok, I've lost a few chickens to what I am pretty sure is a raccoon family. I set a live trap tonight, but I'm in city limits and need to find a humane way to dispose of the critter if I catch one. No guns, and drowning it doesn't seem like a nice way to go. Would a nail gun be humane? Or would the car exhaust method be nicer? I am calling animal control tomorrow to see if they will put it down for me, but I don't have a truck and am not really wanting to ride with a mean raccoon in my backseat, doesn't seem too safe to me.

I bought a raccoon trap 2 weeks ago and the guy that sold it to me said he would take any coon I caught to release on his farm for coon hunting in the fall. Don't think that was real smart, but it is tempting. Find yourself a die hard coon hunter--I live in Appalachia so they are pretty common.

Maybe find a friend with a truck who will help you take it to a far away park?
big_smile.png

Maybe find a friend with a truck who will help you take it to a far away park?

Most likely that's illegal, and it's never a good idea to relocate wild animals

I'd do the car exhaust.

The nail gun is too dangerous​

Illegal to relocate unless it's to private property with the consent of the property owner. I don't know anyone who'd want me to dump a raccoon on them. I don't know anyone in the country in the same state, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take them out of the state so whatever I do has to be here. Looked up animal control and they don't deal with wildlife. Am going to call the conservation department tomorrow and ask what they suggest I guess. Just says on their website they suggest disposal of raccoons, and not relocation, but doesn't say how.

Do you have a garage? Put in earplugs and pop it in the head with a .22.

Dry ice is another method of asphyxiation. Probably not the most gentle of deaths but killing is not pretty even if it is a pest.

If it were me I'd shoot it, but I don't live in town where that would be problematic.

In your circumstances I'd probably drop the live trap in a garbage can full of water and drown it. Not as quick as a well placed shot, but then neither are the asphyxiation methods.

Back
Top Bottom