How do I dispose of raccoon if i trap one?

Ok, I've lost a few chickens to what I am pretty sure is a raccoon family. I set a live trap tonight, but I'm in city limits and need to find a humane way to dispose of the critter if I catch one. No guns, and drowning it doesn't seem like a nice way to go. Would a nail gun be humane? Or would the car exhaust method be nicer? I am calling animal control tomorrow to see if they will put it down for me, but I don't have a truck and am not really wanting to ride with a mean raccoon in my backseat, doesn't seem too safe to me.
While looking up how to dispose of a racoon I found that you can purchase a wildlife euthanasia chamber. Once the racoon is in a cage trap you put the animal in the chamber and slowly fill it with CO2. If done properly, the animal goes quietly unconscious and dies. It costs about $250 not including the CO2 and regulator, but after having a company remove three raccoons and two opossums, it will be cheaper for me to euthanize the animals myself in the future. Especially when I know there is a momma raccoon that I just can't catch and she keeps bringing her brood to my chicken yard.

Back
Top Bottom