How do I get my silkie to regrow her head feathers?

khloee

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
My silkie Gertrude had this beautiful poof on top her head. She looked magnificent. That is till the other started bullying her really bad. Her head feathers were plucked off. Then they never regrew. It’s almost like it just callused over? It’s been this why for a few months and still nothing. They’ve also picked all the feathers off of her back no bleeding on her head or back just missing feathers. Will a feather fixer diet from naturewise which is a brand we have here help start new growth or is it never going to come back. It’s higher in protein. Poor thing looks like Danny Devito. The pictures are a before and after. Any help is much appreciated

Attachments

• DFE317DE-018B-4713-94A6-A493BA810200.jpeg
    DFE317DE-018B-4713-94A6-A493BA810200.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 30E560F1-4113-4A09-A88B-A9EA92414FA0.jpeg
    30E560F1-4113-4A09-A88B-A9EA92414FA0.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 44
My silkie Gertrude had this beautiful poof on top her head. She looked magnificent. That is till the other started bullying her really bad. Her head feathers were plucked off. Then they never regrew. It’s almost like it just callused over? It’s been this why for a few months and still nothing. They’ve also picked all the feathers off of her back no bleeding on her head or back just missing feathers. Will a feather fixer diet from naturewise which is a brand we have here help start new growth or is it never going to come back. It’s higher in protein. Poor thing looks like Danny Devito. The pictures are a before and after. Any help is much appreciated
Could you possibly separate her from the others?
We did that with a small group that needed some time to regrow their feathers, and they are looking lovely!

Calcium is something that is vital as well, as their feathers are made up of it! So I would suggest separation with added calcium in her diet.

Could you possibly separate her from the others?
We did that with a small group that needed some time to regrow their feathers, and they are looking lovely!
Yep I’ve got one in my separate coop right now she’s almost done in there then I’ll separate Gertrude and see if that will make a difference

Ok that’s what I was going to try. Thanks for the input I will definitely try it.
You are so welcome! Try looking for some oyster shell!
Yep I’ve got one in my separate coop right now she’s almost done in there then I’ll separate Gertrude and see if that will make a difference
There you go! Best of luck, I wish you!

if you separate a bullied chicken, the bullying will resume when you put her back and it is likely to get worse. Can you separate a couple of docile hens with her, or separate the bully/ies? I don't know how many you have or what setup you have, but keeping Gertrude on her own until her crest regrows won't solve the problem of why they pecked it in the first place. You may need to look at environmental factors, how much space you have, whether there are hidey places, a variety of roosts, things to keep them from getting bored, safe places for them to run to etc..

if you separate a bullied chicken, the bullying will resume when you put her back and it is likely to get worse. Can you separate a couple of docile hens with her, or separate the bully/ies? I don't know how many you have or what setup you have, but keeping Gertrude on her own until her crest regrows won't solve the problem of why they pecked it in the first place. You may need to look at environmental factors, how much space you have, whether there are hidey places, a variety of roosts, things to keep them from getting bored, safe places for them to run to etc..
I have some younger birds on the other side of my brooder they can see each other and have been getting along fairly well. I’m planning on mixing them together soon. I originally got them so she’d have some friends. Gertrude is my only bantam hence why she gets picked on so much. The others are bantams as well. So hopefully when I reintroduced her to the rest of the flock I can put the new guys in there too. The chicken yard is pretty big for 7 chickens and are able to free range all day unless there is bad weather, which can be frequent in the Midwest.

Back
Top Bottom