How do I get started on selling eggs?

I sell to friends & coworkers - also run an add on craigslist from time to time. The price depends on the area you live. Around here they go from $2 - $7 a doz depending on who posts them or if its at the farmers market. I sell mine for $3 a doz with a carton exchange. :)

Last edited:
in NC. I sell eggs for 3$/dozen to regular customers who return the cartons or provide the own. 4$ to others. I label my eggs as ungraded with my name and address to comply with NC Reg. N NC u can sell up to 30 doz per month without a permit. I can never keep up with demand. The hens just finished first molt which has frustrated my regular customers. This years pullets aren't laying yet.

What qualifies eggs as organic? I feed organic feed. They are free ranged on property that doesn't use any chemicals. Are my eggs organic?

LeslieDJoyce what exactly is your feed recipe? I want to make my own feed but don't know where to start. The feed bill for my flock of 30-100 (it varies depending on whether I'm also doing broilers) is killing me! I've been getting 40# bags at the farm supply store. A local feed mill grinds feed that is slightly less expensive but appears to be mostly corn. I know this is off topic but it caught my attention in your reply.

LeslieDJoyce what exactly is your feed recipe? I want to make my own feed but don't know where to start. The feed bill for my flock of 30-100 (it varies depending on whether I'm also doing broilers) is killing me! I've been getting 40# bags at the farm supply store. A local feed mill grinds feed that is slightly less expensive but appears to be mostly corn. I know this is off topic but it caught my attention in your reply.

I'm feeding a wheat-based feed with pumpkin seeds and fishmeal among other things. It is mixed for me in one-ton batches at an independent local custom feed mill. It has higher protein than layer rations, less calcium (I offer the calcium on the side), and higher amounts of other nutrients to promote good growth, fertility, hatch-ability ... But I couldn't give you an exact formula. It costs more than big brand of-the-shelf layer feed, but less than some (most) boutique feeds I investigated. My egg customers and I appreciate the lack of GMOs and I really like that there are no mystery ingredients hiding under umbrella terms.

Avoiding crops with a potential of GMOs means we don't have to deal with that particular type of fraud in the feed/commodities industries.

What qualifies eggs as organic? I feed organic feed. They are free ranged on property that doesn't use any chemicals. Are my eggs organic?

There are strict standards for using the term "certified organic" or even "organic." Too many to list, really. All feed from day one feeds to be certified organic, including treats, and any range area the birds have access to also has to be certified. It's an expensive, time-consuming process.

I've noticed lots people selling eggs from birds which are eating "organic" feed, and this seems to make egg customers happy to pay a bit more for those eggs. More savvy customers might have some specific questions about what that means ...

I've heard of small farms getting in legal trouble from misusing the term organic ... I'm not sure this includes any back-yard chicken keepers. I prefer to not mess with the whole thing.

There are strict standards for using the term "certified organic" or even "organic." Too many to list, really. All feed from day one feeds to be certified organic, including treats, and any range area the birds have access to also has to be certified. It's an expensive, time-consuming process.

I've noticed lots people selling eggs from birds which are eating "organic" feed, and this seems to make egg customers happy to pay a bit more for those eggs. More savvy customers might have some specific questions about what that means ...

I've heard of small farms getting in legal trouble from misusing the term organic ... I'm not sure this includes any back-yard chicken keepers. I prefer to not mess with the whole thing.

Yep - to maintain a "certified organic" status can be quite involved.

In Iowa, small farms that produce under $20,000 product per year are certified organic "exempt". this means that you don't have to be inspected, yet you can use the term "organic". Most small farmers, organic farmers, are inherently very honest, so the state doesn't make you prove your status unless someone questions it. I would check with your state(s) for similar programs. I bet they are there.

Back
Top Bottom