How do I give away all these unwanted ducks?!

I'm sure the "original" duck owners would say that only the originals belonged to them. They would not claim the ones that are grown from the several generations that have come from just those few. You're right, if my birds got into their yard, I'd have a wing-cutting party. These ducks are so strong, I thought I was going to break my wrist when I grabbed hold of one while it was mating and it flipped around.

Yeah muscovies are strong i completely agree mine that i didnt hand raise (but still they let me pet them and stuff just no holding) when it comes to wing clipping just, its pretty stressful

With most of my muscovies i do this thing called arm training where i train them to sit on my arm from when they first get their flight feathers and its great when they need to be picked up, they dont struggle or try to get away just put them on my arm and boop they stay

You should talk to the neighbor before you do anything, since it sounds like you haven't. The last thing you want is for him to come to you after you have gotten rid of the ducks and accuse you of stealing. He is definitely in the wrong for allowing them to get out of his yard but that doesn't automatically make the ducks your property. If you can document that you tried your best to get him to take responsibility it will be better for you in the long run. A sort of cover your own back kind of thing.

Please, please don't release them on a pond. You have already seen what a small population can do. They will wreak havoc on the local ecosystem. Even if they didn't you would be subjecting them to any number of predators, possible starvation, and likely many horrible deaths. Not to mention you would probably be breaking some laws.

What I meant by saying putting them on a pond was finding someone who owns a big pond (like us, we take all unwanted ducks around here and have a big pen and feed them and they're penned up in winter) and ask them if they could live there

Call animal control. They will also speak to your neighbor. (Perhaps that will prevent an uncomfortable conflict). This will also help you establish the legalities of this situation. Unfortunately, your husband having favorites, especially males, means more babies. In some situations if you are caring for any of them, this can cause legal issues if they become sick or injured and are not treated. You need to have clear lines. Yours or theirs. But, contacting animal control or the ASPCA will help you establish a legal plan of action. Remember, if you feed or help these animals, you may be held legally responsible. Also, selling or rehoming them may cause issues. Good luck.

if u get them involved however they could either

a. Take all of them away from a sign of abuse from the owner (abandonment)
b. euthanize them as they will be seen as a 'nuisance' in their eyes
or
c. take them all back to the abusive owner ( abusive in the way that he just doesn't care )

Last edited:
Or they will help manage the situation. As homeowners and residents there can be much legal liability attached. If one of those ducks becomes injured or they cause an accident, these people could be charged with animal cruelty or in the case of an accident or damage to the property, homeowners insurance liability comes into play. And if these ducks become even larger in numbers, what then. If they sell them on Craigslist, and the neighbors call the police, it's a theft charge. And the ducks. Do they leave them to fate. Since the neighbors don't seem to care, these people are trying to.

Call animal control. They will also speak to your neighbor. (Perhaps that will prevent an uncomfortable conflict). This will also help you establish the legalities of this situation. Unfortunately, your husband having favorites, especially males, means more babies. In some situations if you are caring for any of them, this can cause legal issues if they become sick or injured and are not treated. You need to have clear lines. Yours or theirs. But, contacting animal control or the ASPCA will help you establish a legal plan of action. Remember, if you feed or help these animals, you may be held legally responsible. Also, selling or rehoming them may cause issues. Good luck.
I also agree that you need to contact animal control. They will be the ones I imagine to best handle the situation. Legally there is a lot that can go wrong if matters are taken into your own hands.

Abi, the one on pond had 8 new babies. She nests in a tree cavity that has historically been a very unproductive nest but she proved it could be done. Nester was on the back porch, she took over a nest I had for my Polish Chicken. I was hoping she would hatch those chicken eggs because I can't convince my Polish to sit. Nester sat and sat and I moved her around several times because the (chicken) eggs began to smell rotten but I couldn't throw her off once she started sitting. Fortunately, only 4 of her eggs hatched but unfortunately none were baby chicks.
1f616.png

Last edited:
Or they will help manage the situation. As homeowners and residents there can be much legal liability attached. If one of those ducks becomes injured or they cause an accident, these people could be charged with animal cruelty or in the case of an accident or damage to the property, homeowners insurance liability comes into play. And if these ducks become even larger in numbers, what then. If they sell them on Craigslist, and the neighbors call the police, it's a theft charge. And the ducks. Do they leave them to fate. Since the neighbors don't seem to care, these people are trying to.

I agree with you, I was just stating what could go wrong. The situation will probably be dealt with as you explained I have no reason to prove you wrong I was only stating the opposite end of the spectrum

Buck Oakes, I imagine the swimming pool neighbors wern't very happy to have ducks in their pool. Decorative, but not so sanitary. I posted in the "Where Are You" section and it'd be Heaven if someone with a big trailer could take these ducks to a pond. Yesterday when I pulled into the yard, a big duck hit the top of my car and promptly pooped down the side windows. Also, we have a small in-ground fish pond that had koi fish in it. Fish were beautiful, about 5 years old. Ducks naturally went over the stiff wire covering to sit in the water. The chemistry of the duck poop in the water resulted in all the koi dying.

Back
Top Bottom