How do I help my pet CornishX lose weight?!?!

lunaticfishboy

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
I have a sweet Cornish cross hen named Lucy that I kept as a pet from my last harvest because she was just so darn cute and affectionate. But now she is getting so fat no matter what I feed her, layer feed, worms, and just letting her forage, she just keeps getting chunkier, I can only estimate she is about 13 lbs now. her friend, Daisy, is skinnier than her. I have no clue how. I really don't want Lucy to die from her fatness, I would be so heartbroken.. I always think about it since she is about 5 months old now and waddling a bunch. She is the sweetest chicken I've ever met out of all the chickens I've had. She knows her name and loves to come up to get pets and cuddles. I can always hear her audible heavy breathing, and it makes me feel so horrible. She is one of the highlights of my life and I want to help my sweet chicken. How do I get her to lose weight? She is such a cute chicken and I don't wanna lose her any time soon.. I'm not ready..

This comes under the heading of just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should. Being starved and forced to exercise isn't fun for anyone, and that includes chickens. Do you think she would choose having a longer life at the expense of being miserable or a shorter one and being happy and contented? I know which I would prefer

i look back and this and smile. Lucy is 1 and a half years now and somehow she did not kick the bucket some time after this post, I was for certain her last days were in the works.. but now she has such a strong soul and a stronger will to live and she is very much at the top of the pecking order. She runs a lot, fights off roosters and wants to eat before anyone else. She is still so sweet and chunky but I think she may have gotten stronger. Her breathing has gotten quieter than it was before so I'm glad she is acting like the other hens on a day to day basis.

Can we get a pic of your sweet Lucy?
IMG_6299.jpeg
IMG_6318.jpeg

Here is my chunky girl. It has been raining so she's a little frizzled right now. She's the sweetest thing ever

I saw on another if your threads that you have a CX that's about a year and a half old. Seems like you should do with Lucy what's been successful with that hen.

Back
Top Bottom