How do I keep raccoons away

Watermelon123

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2015
Northern Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
In October I am getting some chickens. But the only thing holding me back is the fact I have raccoons. There is a mom and one or two pups. Daddy is dead and another one broke its leg and died shortly after. But how can I get them to stay away? I have not tried trapping them because I don't know what to put in there as bait. I want to know if the "nite guard" thing really works. And I'll take any other sugestions. Thank you in advance for any comments.

Aside from trapping and destroying them, or killing them outright, I don't think there is a certain way to keep them away. If you have a whole family there, then there is likely some reason why they have stayed around. That means that even if those visitors "disappear", whatever is so attractive around your place will most certainly attract replacements.

The best thing you can do for your flock is to make it as predator proof as possible around their coop and run. Don't rely on chicken wire - it's nowhere near substantial enough to protect your chickens. It would take those pesky raccoons less time to help themselves to a chicken dinner than it took you to unroll the wire. You didn't say whether you plan to have an outdoor run with your coop, but a solid welde wire fence or cyclone fencing reinforced with hardware cloth both running up the sides and then either buried in a 12 inch trench all the way around or formed into a protective apron would be a good start. You'll need solid, substantial walls for your coop, no entry points, and secure latches, preferably that lock with twisting caribiners (and I'm sure I spelled that incorrectly) or something similar. They are quite nimble with those strong claws and will work as hard to get in as you'll need to work to keep them out.

Some folks say that those nite eyes work fine. But raccoons are smart - I would think that with a couple of nights of observation they will figure out quickly that it's just another man-made gizmo. End of deterrence. You will need strong, physical barriers, and that takes some work. I don't believe there is ever such a thing as a 100% predator proof set-up. The minute I become arrogant enough to think that I've defeated all predators with my clever little mind and my precautions, something is going to find a weak spot. I lose. So in addition to building as securely as possible, I add a good dose of common sense and diligence in checking for new weak spots or signs that something has been snooping around.

You are so wise to begin planning your housing now instead of either waiting until the last minute or waiting until your raccoons have already enjoyed a nice meal. Good luck!

This is how you get rid of them!
wink.png

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/898zr2n3/raccoon-pot-roast.html

RACCOON POT ROAST
4-5 dressed young raccoons (no old Ridge-Runners)
5 lb. potatoes
4 lb. carrots
6 lg. onions
6 whole celery stalks
2 pkg. brown gravy mix
2 beef bouillon cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Soak raccoon in salt water overnight. Drain and quarter the meat the following morning. Place meat in the bottom of a 16-20 quart kettle, cover with water, adding brown gravy mix, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, celery, carrots, onion and potatoes in that order. Cover and cook 2-3 hours or until potatoes are done. This will serve 6-8 with enough usually left for raccoon sandwiches the next day.

The biggest mistake people make is to believe they have 1 or 2 or 3 raccoons - or any predator for that matter. Trust me, whether you live in the Louisiana bayou or downtown Chicago, over the course of a week or so, dozens of raccoons will visit all parts of your property. As will opossums, coyotes, foxes, weasels, mink or whatever is in your area.
Unless you sit in a blind with night vision glasses all night, you have no idea what is afoot in the dark.

For those that have caught raccoons in live traps, you've caught the dumbest ones in your neighborhood. There are just as many more that were wise enough to avoid it.
Trap wise coon.
Look at this smart sucker.

The Duke type dogproof leg traps are much better. I use canned mackerel. It's cheap and stinks.

Also, raccoons have huge territories and rarely sleep in the same den every night except in winter. They may return nightly or it may be a week between their visits. If you have nightly visits, it could be 10 different coons.

IMHO, an extremely tight run and coop is the best way to protect your flock. I'm not aware of anything except some LG dogs to deter them.
I've gone out at dusk and a whole family of coons was descending a big tree over one of my coops, climbed down onto the roof and were about to make their way to the pop door when I interrupted them.

I set a camera up at 7 PM last night, one approached the camera at 9:30 and another at 5 AM.

Last edited:
Folks, raccons are not all that abundant and they are not that tough. They are easy to beat using a range of approaches. They are also cute. Let us not try to scare everyone into hating the wildlife.

I agree that raccoons are very cute. Especially in cards, ornaments and stuffed toys.

If you have had them kill your chickens you will change your mind. Here is a raccoon that made the person who was holding the camera very glad for the wire between them and the raccoon. It was not harassed, teased or bated by the dogs. One year on the ranch we disposed of over 15 of them just in the ranch yard.

0.jpg

I'll second the recommendation for electrified poultry net. I have just about every kind of 4-legged predator here, outside of a bear. I've had this netting/fence up now, close to 4yrs, and no animal walking on the ground has got past it. And it has been tested. I've seen more than a couple of dogs try it. And they don't try it again. I've seen the resident fox, sit and look at the birds, but won't come to within 25' of the fence. They have learned the painful lesson also. The fox were the reason I got the fence to begin with, after a couple of bad daylight attacks. I know there is a healthy population of coons around here. Before I put up the fence, I would find their muddy paw prints on my coop, searching for a way in (Which they never found). I've popped a couple of them trying to rob my garbage cans at night (Those motion activated spotlights come in handy). I started with 300' of the netting. I liked it so much, I have bought 350' more. I use Premier's netting. There are other makes out there, but Premier has proven, to me, to be a good company. You properly install this fence, coons WILL NOT get in.

900x900px-LL-3cb9edd3_IMG_1994.jpeg

Let me add that they are also a carrier of many diseases, most dangerous of all, rabies.

When we once commented to our vet that we were seeing a lot of dead raccoons on the road, he informed us that studies he has read conclude that the majority of raccoons killed on roads are carrying rabies. I believe it was a University of IL study and the percentage was something like 70%.

I once had an urban raccoon, drooling, staggering and aggressive, tree me on top of a car. I had to call the police from my cell phone and animal control had to come and rescue me.

I respect them in their natural habitat. I do not hunt them. But when they encroach into our farm lot, they cease being cute and have to go.

We are also restoring our timber into a natural habitat for wildlife and are desperately trying to draw turkey into our property. Not to hunt, but because we enjoy watching them. The reality is that raccoons are egg eaters and if we want turkey, the raccoons have to be kept controlled to a minimum number.

I respect all wildlife's right to live. I draw the line where my livestock and pets are concerned, however.

I was having a hard time catching raccoons until I baited the trap with marshmallows. Seriously, marshmallows! They can't resist them.

I wonder if the solar powered fences are just as effective as wired to regular electric service?

Yes, although tend to be more expensive for a given output. Then you bring into consideration cost effectiveness. I use both. Powered of grid for much larger perimeter fencing and solar powered for smaller paddocks I move around and that are well away from grid hookups.

Back
Top Bottom