How do I keep raccoons away

Raccoons will kill turkey's sitting on a nest, or eat the eggs ... Less turkeys ...

Raccoons will also eat freshly birthed fawns ... Less deer ...

Raccoons will kill turkey's sitting on a nest, or eat the eggs ... Less turkeys ...

Raccoons will also eat freshly birthed fawns ... Less deer ...
Turkey population was dropping each year here until I got chickens. Lost 3 to raccoons early on and set out to reduce the raccoon population. I was pretty effective and saw my first turkey chicks in years... Not saying that removing the raccoons was the only reason the turkeys are staging a comeback but it didnt hurt

http://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/conservation/2013/03/21/trapping-for-better-hunting

With a large population of predators on a property, it is very difficult for ground nesting bird populations to prosper. Raccoons are opportunistic feeders, so if they smell food they will follow the scent to find the source. If a raccoon finds a turkey nest, past research has shown they help themselves to an easy meal. Not only will they devour the eggs, but they may even kill the hen turkey. This predation reduces future turkey populations by decreasing the potential hatch and brood stock. This is the same for quail, grouse, ducks and pheasants across the United States. If you are not a bird hunter, but instead you value your deer herd, then listen up because trapping predators applies to you as well!

A large boar raccoon is one of the meanest, nastiest creatures in the woods. Raccoons can cause an immense amount of stress to a deer herd. If you use trail cameras to monitor-survey or on bait sites, you will most likely document raccoons frequently visiting the sites you established for deer. Raccoons are very aggressive towards deer and will even run off mature bucks from bait locations. Just like humans, deer exert energy while under stress and during times of high anxiety.

When antlers are growing during the summer excess nutrition that isn’t utilized by a buck’s body systems is directed toward growing antlers. When a buck uses energy stressing over raccoons there is less left over to be used for growing antlers.

During the late spring a young fawn is just as vulnerable to a large boar raccoon as the hen on her nest. Large male raccoons can easily weigh in excess of twenty pounds. If a large raccoon comes across a six pound fawn it’s probably not going to pass the defenseless meal. If there’s a twenty pound raccoon taking on a six pound fawn, my money is on the raccoon every time. Trapping is a great tool to reduce the number of raccoons and create more favorable balance between this predator and several prey species.

More at link about trap types, bait, and time of moon cycle ...

Get a large live trap. Punch 4-5 holes in the top of a tuna can (tuna in oil works best) and place the can at the back of the trap behind the plate. I've caught dozens and dozens of raccoons this way. You can use the perforated tuna can several times. The coons get in there and fiddle with the can until they activate the trap. Then dispose of the critters in whatever way you see fit.

Has anyone tried a radio? A friend said a raccoon won't come around if there is talking
The raccoon around here (Live on the edge of a swamp/woods) pay no attention to humans at all...they will walk around even with us yelling at them...my sturdy" fort knox " coop keeps my girls safe at night and my two small dogs and neighborhood cat keeps them safe while free ranging...it is amazing how a peke a pom and a stray cat can be so protective of my hens....they have run off coons, possums and even a hawk so far...not sure they would stop the bear...but it seems uninterested

A bear. What a nightmare even thinking about it. Then again I have what some might call a phobia about bears. I would not live anywhere bears were even slightly suspected of ever being near the area...ever!!

I would think chickens would be a natural attractant for them, if they were in the area, and for that reason wouldn't have them if I thought there could be a bear within a hundred miles.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
A bear. What a nightmare even thinking about it. Then again I have what some might call a phobia about bears. I would not live anywhere bears were even slightly suspected of ever being near the area...ever!!

I would think chickens would be a natural attractant for them, if they were in the area, and for that reason wouldn't have them if I thought there could be a bear within a hundred miles.
our neighborhood bear got 4 of my 7 hens. Of course, only the best layers and ones we named. We keep fortifying and used carpet tack stripping anywhere she could stick her paws and try to prY! We have raccoons and a bobcat has already been sited. It's crazy the amount of protection I have to give them! Here's a pic of bear paws on The coop window

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to hope the bear has easier dinners available than my chickens...nothing I could do would keep this protected species from getting to them but I have made it as hard as possible.

I have to hope the bear has easier dinners available than my chickens...nothing I could do would keep this protected species from getting to them but I have made it as hard as possible. 
Think electric my friend... Think electric!!! A properly rated, well maintained electric fence is not only relatively inexpensive but will "educate" even the most precocious predators you may have. I have 2 strands of wire on the outside of a metal hex deer fence surrounding my orchard and chicken areas. I got it specially to keep the critters away... Especially any of the many black bears we have here. 2 years so far without a single breach. The largest animals I ve seen any sign of are the few squirrels that have come from above... Even they eventually find the wires and stay away after they do. I have only witnessed three in this area in the 2 years and all avoid now.

Back
Top Bottom