How do I keep raccoons away

We have a secure coop, but those **** raccoons keep coming around anyway. My dog has been waking us up every night. I fantasize about sitting by the coop with a bee bee gun waiting for them. It stresses me out to think they're trying to get my girls.

I Have my run covered with 1x4 welded wire and electric wire around the bottom of the run. place the elect. wire about 6 in high and 6 in away on outside of fence, Works great Ilive in a wooded area all kinds of skunks 'coons, hawks ,foxes go to co op or tractor supply

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I will look into electric fencing because raccoons have come to my coop several times.  My tenant told me that she saw two going over my run.  I am sure they were racoons even though her description of them looking like a rat but the size of a cat.

That sounds more like a description of an opposum.

We have a secure coop, but those **** raccoons keep coming around anyway. My dog has been waking us up every night. I fantasize about sitting by the coop with a bee bee gun waiting for them. It stresses me out to think they're trying to get my girls.
I know I feel the same thing. At night sometimes I sat up late trying to see if I can hear my girls and hope they are okay. I don't have a dog so I think I am trying to do the work of a dog!

I keep my dog in the backyard with them. She has never tried to harm a chicken but has already taken down 2 big raccoons that I'm sure would have decimated my flock

That’s great that you are planning to get some chickens. My grandpa is just crazy about to get chicken and rear them. I think, presently he has 40 chickens in his farms. I just love those fresh eggs from his farms. Two weeks back, we spotted the presence of a raccoon which kills the chickens every night. Unfortunately, we lost 3 of them. Then I recommended my grandpa to call the animal capture service providers ( http://www.hawkeye.ca/toronto-wildlife-animal-control ) from Toronto which helped us to remove that eerie raccoons from our property. Hopefully, now are chickens are safe. I would suggest you to call the animal removal company and get rid of those raccoons as soon as possible

Raccoons are a serious problem where there are pets at home. Chickens are good prey for raccoons. Traditional trapping methods seem to go awry and the effort in vain. I would suggest you to hire an animal and pest removal service to get the raccoons out of your compound. I too had a raccoon problem and used ammonia and vinegar to deter them, but it wasn’t an ideal solution. Then I hired a professional raccoon removal team from Toronto since I reside there.

Raccoon removal isn't a one shot deal.
Firstly, they have huge territories and often sleep in a different den every night so the raccoon that hit yesterday may take a week or more to return or they may return night after night.
Secondly, they are so populous, especially in and around cities that when you eliminate those in your area there are hundreds more waiting to move into the vacated territory.

Back
Top Bottom