How do I know if my chick is sick?

shalynnbrothers

Chirping
Jan 31, 2016
Ramona, CA
I have a lethargic Blue D'uccle Chick that has been worrying me. I've seen he/she eat and drink but seems to sleep quite often and definitely isn't as playful as the others. I haven't noticed any strange droppings, although I don't recall seeing any droppings from this particular chick at all. I've checked for "pasty butt," seems to be fine in that area. I've had a chick die before, so I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid or if I should be worried. Can't afford to take him to the vet. How would I know if it's cocci? Should I get Corid?

@casportpony @miss lydia @amiga
Advice or tag some chicken peeps....
1f601.png

Is @Eggcessive in the house?

I have only raised ducklings - lethargy, just seeming off, is tough to diagnose but I agree with Jennsownzoo that supportive treatment - vitamins, probiotics, electrolytes, can help.

Also just making sure the temperature is okay, that the bedding is not moldy, the food is not moldy, etc.

And remember some individuals just need a little more of some things to get them over a rough spot.

Might be vitamins, or warmth, or just a little extra TLC.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't treat willy-nilly for things without a proper diagnosis. If you can afford to have them checked by a professional, I think the best option would be to focus on supportive care to build the chick's own strength and immune system up to fight off what's ailing it. You can find vitamins, probiotics, and such for this purpose at the feed store.

I have a lethargic Blue D'uccle Chick that has been worrying me. I've seen he/she eat and drink but seems to sleep quite often and definitely isn't as playful as the others. I haven't noticed any strange droppings, although I don't recall seeing any droppings from this particular chick at all. I've checked for "pasty butt," seems to be fine in that area. I've had a chick die before, so I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid or if I should be worried. Can't afford to take him to the vet. How would I know if it's cocci? Should I get Corid?
Can you post pictures of the chick?

-Kathy

I really wouldn't treat willy-nilly for things without a proper diagnosis. If you can afford to have them checked by a professional, I think the best option would be to focus on supportive care to build the chick's own strength and immune system up to fight off what's ailing it. You can find vitamins, probiotics, and such for this purpose at the feed store.

I have a Probiotic Chick Boost that I've been putting in their water since I got them (5 days ago). Someone at the feed store suggested Sulmet, so I bought it. But I just read some bad things about it and now don't feel comfortable giving it to them. Ugh
1f61e.png

Maybe he's just a lazy chicken?? I probably sound paranoid, I just don't want to lose another chick.

Is @Eggcessive
  in the house?

I have only raised ducklings - lethargy, just seeming off, is tough to diagnose but I agree with Jennsownzoo that supportive treatment - vitamins, probiotics, electrolytes, can help.

Also just making sure the temperature is okay, that the bedding is not moldy, the food is not moldy, etc.

And remember some individuals just need a little more of some things to get them over a rough spot.

Might be vitamins, or warmth, or just a little extra TLC.

They have fresh new bedding and I freshen their water often (and use a probiotic chick boost). I also check the temp of the brooder as often as possible. I am gone for 7 hours out of the day to go to work and can't be there to keep the temp of the brooder right as the heat of the day changes. Maybe it gets slightly too warm while I'm gone? Or maybe he's just be a lazy sleepy chicken? I wish they could just tell me what they need
1f629.png

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom