How do I stop my hen from being broody?

I have a chicken and she is being broody. Someone suggested that I cool down her body temperature by putting her in cool water but she's still broody. She has started to pluck her feathers so she can be closer to the eggs. She won't leave the nesting box so I have to lock her out so she will eat. Her crest has started to shrivel I would get her chicks but I'm afraid my 5 other chickens will peck them. She raised the 5 other chickens from chicks because when we first got chickens five of them were attacked and killed by a bear and she was very lonely so we got five new chicks and they were happy. This is the first time she's been broody and I some help so she will stop being broody.

I have a chicken and she is being broody. Someone suggested that I cool down her body temperature by putting her in cool water but she's still broody. She has started to pluck her feathers so she can be closer to the eggs. She won't leave the nesting box so I have to lock her out so she will eat. Her crest has started to shrivel I would get her chicks but I'm afraid my 5 other chickens will peck them. She raised the 5 other chickens from chicks because when we first got chickens five of them were attacked and killed by a bear and she was very lonely so we got five new chicks and they were happy. This is the first time she's been broody and I some help so she will stop being broody.

I find a "broody buster" to be the best, most effective approach. All you need is a wire cage, dog crate, etc that is big enough to allow room for your hen to be in there comfortably (meaning room to stand up, turn around, a bit of space to walk and room for food/water). Take the crate and place it so it is elevated off the floor - cinder blocks work well for this - to allow air to flow up under the cage. Place the bird in the cage with feed and water - no roost, no bedding, etc - leave her for 2-3 days and let her out for a test run to see if she is still feeling broody. If she goes about the business of being a normal, non-broody chicken leave her to it - if she goes back to the nest to resume broodiness, back in the cage with her for a couple more days.
It is curious that this is her first broody cycle, though, as a non-broody hen would not have been receptive to taking and raising the chicks you gave her.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll try that. One problem we have is bears, foxes, raccoons, and coyotes. Would I keep her inside away from predators? Also would I let her go outside with the other chickens?

Thanks I'll try that. One problem we have is bears, foxes, raccoons, and coyotes. Would I keep her inside away from predators? Also would I let her go outside with the other chickens?

Yes - if there is room you can set your buster cage up right in the coop - setting it up in an unsecured location is just setting out a feeding station for your friendly neighborhood predator. No you don't let her out during the 2-3 day stints in "jail" - a truly broody hen wouldn't go out with them anyway - she would be up on the nest.

When I lock her out of the coop she likes to be around the other chickens. But there is no room inside of the coop for the dog crate.

Thank you so much but today she stopped being broody and is hanging out with the other chickens. I guess the cool water method worked!
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif

I 've tried the isolation treatment for my Black Austrolope & it worked for a month or so. Now she's back on the nest with more determination than before. Someone at the feed store suggested giving her a fake egg to sit on & said she'd give up after a few weeks of it not hatching. Or will this just encourage her? She's sitting on eggs our other 3 chickens lay & several them have been broken. Is broodiness something that will just keep happening with chickens who are disposed to it? If so, should I try to find a home for her where she can fulfill her motherly instincts?
Thanks

I have a brilliant layer(oddly enough,of game fowl stock) who's just gone broody. I'll have a try with Ol Grey Mare's suggested method, and see if that fixes her.

Back
Top Bottom