How do i tell if my girls have lice or mites??

SpaghettiJo

Songster
Apr 1, 2017
Virginia
I have 6 hens.. 2 of which have started to lose feathers on the tops of their heads.. Recently there have been an increasing amount of feathers around their coop and run area, and my original 6 eggs a day has dropped down to 3.. so i figured they might be molting, but they are only 7 months old and from what ive read that isnt totally normal.. and then i stumbled upon some threads talking about lice and mites.. I havent been able to find many helpful articles telling how to tell if my girls have either one of them, what they look like, etc., so i was wondering if any of you would have any helpful links or insight from experience..? I will hopefully be able to post some pictures tomorrow, but please, if you have any idea as to how i go about "diagnosing" them or treating them, that would be so helpful! Thank you!

The two girls that seem to be losing the feathers do not seem to be any of my laying ones (or at least i don't believe they are) and they are both easter eggers

Good article on lice/mite identification and treatment, with pictures: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
Top of the head also makes me wonder if they are feather picking or if you have a roo?
Feather picking can be from overcrowding, boredom or not enough protein in the diet.
Top/back of the head is a common place for roo damage, they hold on there with their beak while mounting. Pictures are always helpful, maybe these suggestions will help.

Good article on lice/mite identification and treatment, with pictures: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
Top of the head also makes me wonder if they are feather picking or if you have a roo?
Feather picking can be from overcrowding, boredom or not enough protein in the diet.
Top/back of the head is a common place for roo damage, they hold on there with their beak while mounting. Pictures are always helpful, maybe these suggestions will help.
what are some good treats that may have good sources of protein?

meal worms (expensive), canned cat food (cheap), canned mackerel.
Thank you!
My mom and i tag teamed holding and checking their heads, and we are pretty certain they have lice :( but ill be sure to spoil them with mealworms once mine come in from amazon ;)

Scrambled egg is also a good treat. The best way to increase their protein is to feed a higher protein feed. Layer feed is 16% protein. You can switch to a flock raiser feed that will be 18%. And then limit treats to 10% or less of their diet. Whatever they eat in treats is calories they will not eat in feed. If you switch to a non-layer feed be sure to offer oyster shell in another feeder, free choice, at all times. The non-layer feeds do not have enough calcium for laying hens, they will take what they need from the oyster shell, many feed this way all the time as the non-laying in the flock don't need the extra calcium.
They are young for a molt but it's not unheard of. Look for pin feathers coming in. This time of year egg laying can taper off or stop due to the reduced amount of daylight also. Other factors to consider are stress and illness. Even a predator around the coop at night can upset laying for a time. And if they do have lice or mites that could very well do it also.

Mites have to be treated. It's not overly difficult.
Scrambled egg is also a good treat. The best way to increase their protein is to feed a higher protein feed. Layer feed is 16% protein. You can switch to a flock raiser feed that will be 18%. And then limit treats to 10% or less of their diet. Whatever they eat in treats is calories they will not eat in feed. If you switch to a non-layer feed be sure to offer oyster shell in another feeder, free choice, at all times. The non-layer feeds do not have enough calcium for laying hens, they will take what they need from the oyster shell, many feed this way all the time as the non-laying in the flock don't need the extra calcium.
They are young for a molt but it's not unheard of. Look for pin feathers coming in. This time of year egg laying can taper off or stop due to the reduced amount of daylight also. Other factors to consider are stress and illness. Even a predator around the coop at night can upset laying for a time. And if they do have lice or mites that could very well do it also.
Thank you both so much!! I will be sure to follow your advice :)

Back
Top Bottom