How do I tell the sex of my geese?

littlefarm2

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
I have two giant dewlap toulouse geese. They are 2 months old, how and when can I tell the sex?
Thanks for your help

If you get eggs next spring, you have a female.

Seriously, geese are hard to sex unless you know how to vent sex. And at 2 months old- good luck with that! You may get beaten within an inch of your life trying. Sometimes you can tell by behavior. Males are more outgoing, louder, and like to swim more than females. Females tend to sit down more and are much more reluctant to be handled/approached/touched. Behavior varies so much in individual geese that you will have better luck just waiting to see if you get any eggs next spring.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I have no problem waithing until next spring. Everyone was asking so I figured I would just see if there was an easier way to tell. They are quite interesting little/big guys they make me laugh regularly.

Just give them names that suit them. Pick one to be a boy, and one to be a girl
big_smile.png
. They won't care. It makes it easier on us humans
smile.png

If you DO end up with a male and a female, CMV is right on about the behavior differences. I got a sexed pair that I got confused right away. It took six weeks for me to figure it out, and I had to switch their names, and my ageing brain, around. By far the friendliest and most attention seeking was my little gander, and the shyer more reluctant one, the goose.

If they act exactly the same, equal shyness, equal outgoingness, well, you have a matched set
smile.png

Ganders extend their necks to full length and scan the environment. Females keep their heads low and demur.

Put a strange object near your geese. My gander will come and attack it. My goose (well, I have two females now, so geese) will hang back and chatter at it, terrified.

I have never attempted to vent sex a goose. I suppose there will come a day. The idea makes me cringe.

I was told for adult geese you hold the upside down with the head facing you and the coacla i think thats what its called is exposed and a penis appers if it is a boy

I was told for adult geese you hold the upside down with the head facing you and the coacla i think thats what its called is exposed and a penis appers if it is a boy
Nope not that easy if adults and not that easy if they are gosling if your not experienced, and gosling can be injured trying. Sometimes stance can tell whether gander or goose if adults. Most of the time mating season gives us the best clue or first egg.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom