How do they do it?

We built our 4x8 walk-in coop for under $200, using pallets. We had some old fencing that was laying around our property that we used for siding. We gathered other scrap materials from construction sites (after asking permission, of course). It's not pretty, but it's sturdy and safe.

IMG-0203.JPG

IMG-0277.JPG

@KikisGirls I have windows! Thanks fo reminding me.
The shed has been removed by poster.
The wood is perfect but too far for us to travel.
I'll get this done. I just get panicky. :eek::th:lau
Crap.
I was hoping those were close to you.
I am not familiar with your state.

We were able to build a coop and goat house for almost free one time. But that was only because one of my husband's customers had a whole stack of 4 x 8 framed out walls that he ended up not using and decided he just wanted them gone as they had been sitting around his property for a while.

They were a 4 x 8 frame made of 2 x4s with a piece of plywood on them. So my husband took them and made a 16' by 8' shed with them. We used them for a roof as well and covered that with tarps. We left the floor as dirt. All we had to purchase was 2 tarps, the nails to hold the tarps down and the screws to put the panels together and some paint.

While this was a stroke of luck and a blessing at the time as we were really struggling financially, it was far from ideal. There were no windows at all, the dirt floors would get wet and ruin our bedding materials, it was very hard to keep clean as we didn't have the extra money for paint for the inside and it was very ugly, even after we managed to get the outside painted. But it did the job and provided adequate housing for our small goat herd and chicken flock until we were able to provide something better. Good luck to you. I know it can feel quite overwhelming.

Thank you @Wise Woman .
Wow what a blessing! Premade walls! God is good.
I have gotten some free pallets and some 3/4 inch plywood for the floor.
I'm going to have the oddest building crew ever. My son in law who used to build houses but can't anymore because his hands need surgery will be supervising and advising. My husband, who has no skill nor even knowledge of carpentry, will be wielding the hammer. Oh, and my granddaughters boyfriend wants to design it. This is gonna be....a blessing.;)

Back
Top Bottom