How do u get those bright red combs/wattles?

Chick named Lola

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
My girls are healthy and fed a good variety of fruits/veggies, feed, mealworms and whatever they find around the yard during the day. They also get a scoop of wild bird seed since they dont like scratch. They eat everything BUT the corn. Snobs.

Anyway, any advice?

5 hens, suburban backyard, nice coop, protected run, free range during the day, no lice/mites...

Are you feeling them the appropriate commercial feed? (such as layer feed instead of grower feed?) How old are they? You might try BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) instead of just bird seed. They might need more protein if they aren't getting the appropriate feed.

Note: I don't own birds yet, just have been trolling and reading this forum for a year in anticipation and these are just some of my thoughts from previous posts I've read. I hope someone more knowledgeable will answer you :)

High in protein food and well balanced meals. My girls got real good color after I discovered Ashley. He became a friend of mine after talking to him about my compost and my chickens. Ashley is my produce manager at the local grocery store. He saves for me 2 bags Weds and Saturdays of mixed fruits and Veggies I asked him to ask the store manager so he would not get in trouble and not its been a regular thing for almost a year. Go talk to a couple stores and make a friend or 2.

How old are they and are they laying? In my experience redder, thicker comb and wattles are signs of sexual maturity. They'll happen around 4-6 months, maybe later for giant type breeds. They will also lose color to the comb when they molt and during the winter when they're not laying.

Red combs is a sign they are either laying or getting ready to lay (if young pullets). When they take a break from laying (for example, to molt), their combs will go back to a pink color, and when the molt is over and they are ready to lay, it will get vivid red again.

How old are you girls? Are they laying now?

Comb and wattle color and size is a factor of hormone level and variety of chicken. Some varieties such as EE or Ameraucanas generally to not have very distinctive combs. When brooding, raising chicks, molting, or during breaks from egg production comb color and size diminishes.

Good question!

I have Marans and Ameraucanas... out of the six, my Blue Copper Marans roo has the most beautiful, deep red comb! I've often wondered why - he eats all the same things everyone else gets.... He's my favorite; beautiful, gentle giant!

The roo will often have the reddest, prettiest comb. The hen's combs vary a lot more depending on sexual maturity and health. As already stated, the hen's combs are usually reddest when laying or about to lay. As the season progresses they get lighter and lighter sometimes. When they aren't laying the combs are pretty dull. But the roo combs stay that bright red unless they aren't well.

_MG_4392.jpg
Compared to my roo, my hens have pale combs. I find they are deeper red in the prime breeding season. Some breeds have deeper red colours than others. How old are your girls?

Do older chickens have paler combs and wattles? I got one that was sick when I got her. She is getting better but don't know if I need to add some extra nutrients or anything to her food. I think she is blind so she doesn't find food and water easily so not sure how much water she gets. I am giving her wet layer food and she eats it up.

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 49

Back
Top Bottom