How do you get into showing chickens?

I Like Turkeys

Crowing
Mar 7, 2022
Florida
I am sorry if this isn’t the right place for this thread, but I am curious.
I am a minor and struggle to make connections and get out of the house, but I really enjoy chickens and domestic birds, and would I think breeding and showing birds would be a good way to get out, and see more of the chicken-owning world. How do I get into it?
Most of my current flock is mixed, hatchery quality and mutts, and unfortunately my turkeys are also hatchery quality, and not up to the standard of perfection.
I feel like i’m repeating myself, but what is the best way to get into it? It would be easier to select a single chicken breed to show, correct? Before I get into it, is there anything I should do? Buy a copy of the standard of perfection? Should I visit shows beforehand to see how they operate?

Yep, you'd want to get an SOP so you can learn how to evaluate your breed! You can check out some shows first before you show yourself, and that's actually a really good way to get ahold of some starter stock - people bring birds to shows to sell :)

But the showing itself isn't too hard. Beforehand your birds need to be tested for pullorum, and more and more shows are requiring AI testing too. The easiest way to have that done and up to date is to get your flock enrolled in the NPIP program, where they come out every six months to test your birds.

Then, you enter the show ahead of time. You pay a small fee for each bird you enter. You bathe and ready your birds three days to a week before the show, then also do some prep on them the day of when you arrive. Get there before the show is scheduled to start, find your show cages, do the finishing touches on your birds, leave them in the cages for judging, and that's it. The rest of the show you spend time viewing the other birds and socializing.

After judging is done, it's always good to have the judge look at your birds with you, so can learn what they liked and what they would improve. Then stay after the show if you can and help break everything down and clean up.

Yep, you'd want to get an SOP so you can learn how to evaluate your breed! You can check out some shows first before you show yourself, and that's actually a really good way to get ahold of some starter stock - people bring birds to shows to sell :)

But the showing itself isn't too hard. Beforehand your birds need to be tested for pullorum, and more and more shows are requiring AI testing too. The easiest way to have that done and up to date is to get your flock enrolled in the NPIP program, where they come out every six months to test your birds.

Then, you enter the show ahead of time. You pay a small fee for each bird you enter. You bathe and ready your birds three days to a week before the show, then also do some prep on them the day of when you arrive. Get there before the show is scheduled to start, find your show cages, do the finishing touches on your birds, leave them in the cages for judging, and that's it. The rest of the show you spend time viewing the other birds and socializing.

After judging is done, it's always good to have the judge look at your birds with you, so can learn what they liked and what they would improve. Then stay after the show if you can and help break everything down and clean up.
Thank you! I’ve heard of cage training before, the basics are to keep a chicken in small cages at home from time to time to get them used to it, correct? Do you know how small of a cage would work, and how long to leave them in there?
Other than that, I’m meant to handle potential show birds regularly, so they are comfortable with it?
And soap to use for them, sorry if i’m asking too much or if you don’t know. Are there any specific poultry soap/shampoo brands that work better?

I agree with Pyxis here, just a few things to add. In some states enrolling in NPIP isn't the necessary plan of action. You can just get birds Pullorum Typhoid testing once a year. That said, I am going to have my birds NPIP tested for the first time so I can sell out of state.
It is a good idea to go to a show and see what it's like and connect with breeders, but keep in mind what breeds you wish to exhibit ahead of time so you can ask around. They may have birds available that they didn’t bring or may know someone with the breed you want that isn’t there that might have birds available.
It’s good to have just one or two breeds but it’s okay to experiment to find your preferences first. People who owned many breeds often find the others just don’t please them as much. Of course, since you’ve already owned hatchery birds you might already know your favorite, so you can skip that step.

Another question I forgot to ask: is the APA website the only place to purchase a standard of perfection? Probably is, I feel weird for asking, but Id like to know.

A lot of places have them. A new edition comes out next November, and they are so expensive you could wait for that one
Nice pigeon.

Other than that, I’m meant to handle potential show birds regularly, so they are comfortable with it?
Yes, if they’re naturally flightier. I find that the amount of handling I do moving my birds, cleaning cages, filling feeders and waters is enough to not make special time to handle them, but the more handling, the better.
And soap to use for them, sorry if i’m asking too much or if you don’t know. Are there any specific poultry soap/shampoo brands that work better?
I like Adam’s Flea and Tick, the cat whitening shampoo (for white birds), and I use livestock shampoo but I currently can’t remember the brand. In a second bucket I use vinegar to cut the soap and the third I use glycerin so their feathers don’t dry out.

Back
Top Bottom