How do you get the 'wild taste' out of free range chickens?

Nashonii

Songster
9 Years
May 29, 2013
Outside of Fayetteville,AR.
Another title would be: " How do YOU cook your roosters? Need recepies.
We skinned the first of our 'bad boys'. We let him set for 2 days in the refreg, (to let the muscles relax), then in the freezer. We are new to this, and have only cooked this one so far. We put him in a slow cooker for 12 hours, with potatoes, celery, and tomatoes. The meat was falling off the bone and very tender, BUT the taste was far too loud!
I've been told it could be because he was a free-range rooster, maybe. He was a Rock,Marans mix.
We have 2 more ready to cook, but need some advice on how to get the 'wild taste' out of them. I've heard of putting them in brine water, but we are trying to cut out salt from our diet. Any Ideas? Please help, I have 5 more roos coming up. !!!!!
D.gif

BTW- We have Never eaten home grown chicken, so don't know itf they are supposed to be that strong tasting. If so, I don't think they are at all good.

Last edited:
The flavor of the meat of free-range birds is to store-bought chicken what the flavor of free-range eggs is to battery eggs. It's possible that your rooster got into something to make his meat stronger tasting-I could always tell the birds that had figured out where we put the fish guts for example- but odds are you're just finally tasting what real chicken tastes like. If you don't like it, I would suggest using heavily spiced recipes designed for game birds or curries. Thai green curry springs to mind because it's one we use with wild quail, grouse, pheasant, etc.

Edited to add:
I also think 12 hrs is WAY too long to stew a bird, especially in a slow-cooker which always seem to add a weird flavor. But then, I can pick up the taste of something that was made is a slow-cooker blindfolded before I start to chew. You might want to try just making chicken soup out of one the same way you would with a store-bought whole chicken to see if it was really the flavor or if it was the cooking method.

Last edited:
How old was the rooster? Because as they get older, they get stronger. You might want to try younger birds to see if you like them better.

Also, just like some people may smell worse than others, some chickens have a stronger and different flavor. Try a different bird to see if it was just that this bird was strong.

I agree that it's the difference between home grown and store bought chicken. Free ranged chicken has so much more flavor and texture than the store bought. I don't know what you can do to mask the flavor. Use it in something spicy, maybe? I don't know. I prefer the flavor of my free ranged chickens. I do think that it may be an acquired taste for some. If you're not used to it, it could take some getting used to.

Just checking, but you gutted him before resting him right? Not doing so tends to impart a gamier taste (which some prefer).

Just think, this is how all chicken tasted before the invent of fast growing broilers. I actually like the taste, tastes like chicken. If you don't like it I would butcher younger, to butcher younger and have a good amount of meat you'd be best off raising broilers these would give you meat like the store bought variety which you are used to

Last edited:
Thank you all. From what you have said, I think it is the difference between store bought chicken, and 'home grown' chicken. Just like the eggs, the meat is stronger tasting too. The spices we added were very mild too, so next time we will add bolder ones, or smoke the meat. Taking the skin off before we cooked it might have also changed things. I always do this for store bought chicken, but it might have been better with it on.
We didn't give it much of a chance...the first bite was so surprising, that we put it down. Next time we will be prepared for 'al la difference'. With 5 up and coming roosters, we need to LEARN to like the taste...and save some money. Guess we will be trying different spices, and cooking methods until we see what all the fuss is about.
Any additional advice and recepies will be gladly welcomed.
Many thanks to you.

Smoked sounds really good! The only time I leave the skin on is when I roast a whole one in the oven, or when cooking on the grill. I pressure can my chickens, too. Canned chicken is a family favorite at my house.

Back
Top Bottom