How do you get the 'wild taste' out of free range chickens?

We don't eat our chickens- because they are all pets- LOL......but I do hunt. When I put a venison roast in the crock pot, I always like to add some beef bullion to help mask the gaminess. I imagine you could try some chicken bullion when cooking chicken with the same results?

He was just starting puberty...6-7 months old, yes we gutted him first. I am enjoying all the different ways you cook your chickens! Keep 'em coming! Adding beef bullion is a wonderful idea! How bout chicken bullion, or dried onion soup? Thank you!

Last edited:
That's called a full flavored bird. The ones you buy at the store are barely alive long enough to get any flavor in them. This is what a chicken is supposed to taste like and the very reason we raise our own. Ever compare the taste of pasture raised beef to the industrial grain fed junk! Same thing a lot more flavor.

I have had people tell me our eggs from our free range chickens taste too eggy. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

That's called a full flavored bird. The ones you buy at the store are barely alive long enough to get any flavor in them. This is what a chicken is supposed to taste like and the very reason we raise our own. Ever compare the taste of pasture raised beef to the industrial grain fed junk! Same thing a lot more flavor.

I have had people tell me our eggs from our free range chickens taste too eggy. Whatever that's supposed to mean.
Too eggy?! Hah.

I get so used to the taste of our pastured eggs, I find myself wondering why I go to such effort to keep chickens. Just tastes like eggs! Until I have to eat a store egg, that tastes almost chemically and so bland.

Another title would be: " How do YOU cook your roosters? Need recepies.
We skinned the first of our 'bad boys'. We let him set for 2 days in the refreg, (to let the muscles relax), then in the freezer. We are new to this, and have only cooked this one so far. We put him in a slow cooker for 12 hours, with potatoes, celery, and tomatoes. The meat was falling off the bone and very tender, BUT the taste was far too loud!
I've been told it could be because he was a free-range rooster, maybe. He was a Rock,Marans mix.
We have 2 more ready to cook, but need some advice on how to get the 'wild taste' out of them. I've heard of putting them in brine water, but we are trying to cut out salt from our diet. Any Ideas? Please help, I have 5 more roos coming up. !!!!!
D.gif

BTW- We have Never eaten home grown chicken, so don't know itf they are supposed to be that strong tasting. If so, I don't think they are at all good.

Been eating "real" chickens since the 70s and can tell you that it's not the free ranging, but it is what you are feeding otherwise~chicken feeds. The only thing I have ever discovered that will take the gamy flavor from real, honest to goodness farm yard chickens is to feed fermented feeds. I never minded the gamy flavor all those years because that's how chicken is supposed to taste but was surprised to find that feeding the fermented feed toned down that flavor just enough to yield a mild, flavorful clean taste on even the oldest rooster. My mother is almost 80 and she too was surprised about the difference. It even removes the smell of their cooking to one that will make your mouth water...I've never tasted chicken this good in my life!

We don't buy or eat store bought chicken, so you can say we are connoisseurs of home grown chickens...it's what we've been eating since the late 70s.

Been eating "real" chickens since the 70s and can tell you that it's not the free ranging, but it is what you are feeding otherwise~chicken feeds. The only thing I have ever discovered that will take the gamy flavor from real, honest to goodness farm yard chickens is to feed fermented feeds. I never minded the gamy flavor all those years because that's how chicken is supposed to taste but was surprised to find that feeding the fermented feed toned down that flavor just enough to yield a mild, flavorful clean taste on even the oldest rooster. My mother is almost 80 and she too was surprised about the difference. It even removes the smell of their cooking to one that will make your mouth water...I've never tasted chicken this good in my life!

We don't buy or eat store bought chicken, so you can say we are connoisseurs of home grown chickens...it's what we've been eating since the late 70s.
clap.gif

You are making the transition from store bought to home raised. yes there is a difference, and you will get accustomed to it. But in the meantime, you need to train your taste buds so your tongue does not go into all out revolt! Marinate the rooster overnight in buttermilk. Rinse it off and simmer the rooster in 1/2 cup cooking sherry and water to cover the meat. Add whatever spices you like

Here is a link the traditional French recipe for "older" birds ... coq au vin. This version of the recipe states that the older the bird, the better the recipe. In France you can buy "older" birds right in the grocery store. "Guaranteed" to be "at least" a certain age. Fantastic for variety!

http://www.cuisine-france.com/recipes/coq_vin.htm

BUT ... this Christmas I deboned, stuffed & cooked in a roasting bag two of our barnyard cockerels, and they were SO delicious. I used a bread & apricot stuffing that has a sweet flavor which I think is appropriate for the holidays. Otherwise, I like to rub the bird all over with a curry/salt/herb/olive oil or butter mixture before roasting and am never disappointed.

I do believe salt is important ... I'm medically required to consume a lot of salt, which I consider to be one of my biggest blessings.
droolin.gif
I believe the "low sodium" thing is a marketing ploy, though there are some people whose bodies can't effectively regulate their sodium levels ...

We could sell all of our cockerels several times ... for double or more the price of store-bought birds ... people who have been raise on barnyard birds know the flavor of those cockerels is well worth the price.

ALSO ... don't be afraid of brining a bird ... I use brine for our barnyard turkeys, because I like the breast meat to be moist, tender and full of flavor (large hunks of breast meat can be very bland, which is why grocery-store poultry is nearly always brined). My favorite brine is one that includes sugar, salt, vinegar and pickling spices. In my opinion, if you're used to store-bought poultry (injected with brine) or are not afraid to use a packaged bouillon or onion soup mix, you shouldn't be afraid of a home-made brine, but that's just a technicality. Note that the coq au vin recipe at the link above calls for soaking the bird in red wine ... some people soak their poultry in buttermilk or yogurt ... so you've got choices.

you can also make chicken salads, soup,etc. the strong flavor comes from age. try butchering at younger age. im with beekissed. fermenting feed producing a milder flavor.

Too eggy?! Hah.

I get so used to the taste of our pastured eggs, I find myself wondering why I go to such effort to keep chickens. Just tastes like eggs! Until I have to eat a store egg, that tastes almost chemically and so bland.
i found that out this winter. My chickens stopped laying and I had to buy from the store. I cannot believe the difference. When I first started with the chickens I couldn't tell the difference, but now. . the store bought ones are yucky!

Back
Top Bottom