How do you heat the laying boxes?

Quote: Thanks Ron...I know, crazy, right!! Excited for freezing temps to test our inventions.
I've got a new heated waterer, but we've only hit about 27 so far for a low...got 6-8 inches of snow on warm ground, but that's another problem.

I am veryintrigued and tempted to install these pads in my nests, but waiting for you to test them and work out the kinks
wink.png

Funny story,

When testing the heated nest box temperatures, I used an unheated box as my control sample.

One day while taking temperatures my results were:

Ambient temperature....47F
Heated nest box............65F
Control nest box............78F

I repeated the measurements 3 times before I realized there was a REAL egg in the box...

I have been thinking about temerature controlled water bed heater in mine it will fit acrossed both boxes nicely. I can set it on a timer so its not heated all the time. That way I avoid the problem of them being on there when they should be roosting. I would think they would be fire safe since people sleep on them. Just in the thinking stage at the moment though. Any feedback would be welcome.

I have been thinking about temerature controlled water bed heater in mine it will fit acrossed both boxes nicely. I can set it on a timer so its not heated all the time. That way I avoid the problem of them being on there when they should be roosting. I would think they would be fire safe since people sleep on them. Just in the thinking stage at the moment though. Any feedback would be welcome.
Advantage over the propagation pad in that you can adjust the temp, but you pay for that too with a bigger pad but twice+ the price.

If you've got one handy, prototype it up and test it out....let us know!

I forgot about the timer turning if off at roosting time...and hopefully the coziness doesn't cause a lying traffic jam.

I have one of those remote point and shoot infrared thermometers.

I love this hobby!

Am I the only one who could see themselves sitting out in the coop pointing this thing at eggs and muttering a just-audible "pew pew pew" as I pull the trigger?
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom