How do you identify your chickens?

BetsyB0101

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Southwest Missouri
I know since I am new I probably ask stupid questions but here we go again. LOL. Obviously I need a way to mark my chicks so I know who is who and can identify where they came from. Do you use leg bands for this? What is the best way? Where do I get supplies for this? If you do leg bands do you do it as chicks? Do they outgrow them? I would like to get NPIP certification and am starting with baby chicks so figured they will want this also when they inspect. I sent for info from them. Thanks for advice!

I don't use anything to identify my chickens. There are leg bands, but as they grow, you have to change the bands to fit their legs. There are all different colors so that you can know who's who.

The NPIP vet inspected my flock, and they don't care whether you band chickens or not, but they will band turkeys for you.

There is also a toe punch method, where you actually punch out a little circle in the webbing between their toes. Kind of like a paper punch.....

How many chickens? I have 10 and we know each one. You will get to know each and every one of them. Now if you bought the same breed you can get ankle bracelets but you need to remove and put larger one on after they become to small. I read a thread where on more than 1 occasion a band was missed and they cut into the chicks leg. So they must be changed out from time to time. Good luck

Once my girls got to be full grown we used colored cable ties. Half got the right leg, half got the left leg... but they all have very different personalities and I don't need them to tell the difference anymore. It was pretty confusing when my barred rocks were pullets though since they molted several times and characteristic coloring on their feathers changed; I now use the comb patterns and beak coloring (to some degree) for identification if personalities are questionable.

Well I have silkie chicks that I just got. They are from a hatchery so mostly for fun. Then I ordered silkie eggs that are from show stock so my daughter will have some to show at the fair. I have ten from the hatchery and don't know how many eggs will end up hatching of the show stock. Just wanted to know for sure who was hatchery stock and who was show stock. I am sure people that really know silkies could tell without being told but I am just learning. I really don't like the idea of the leg bands. It would worry me.

I use wing bands. They get put on when the chicks are a couple days old. When I choose the keepers I put leg bands on also. The npip tester also puts a numbered npip band on the birds who get tested. I use plastic numbered bandettes and aluminum numbered keg bands.

iOne of the reasons I chose all different breeds is because I knew I would name them, and having all RIRs, say, I would have to go, "Good morning, Rhoda! Hey, how you doing, Rhoda! Hey there, Rhoda, how are you today? Well, good morning to you too, Rhoda.". I was pretty certain I wouldn't be able to tell them apart...

But I was wrong.
smile.png
. I now have a few duplicates or triplicates, and I can tell them apart. It is personality. And comb and beak appearance, as already mentioned.

Quote:
My neighbor uses the colored zip ties to tell the difference between her chickens from different breeders. She keeps a fair amount of space between the leg and the tie, and swaps them out for larger sized bands as the chicken grows.

I have over 50 chickens and with the exception of the youngest ones, I know each one (and they all have names
smile.png
). With silkies, you can tell differences in wing carriage, "poofiness", and toe placement. And of course if you have different colored ones that makes it easier.

See the girls in the pic? I can tell them all apart. :) mostly comb. They all developed different combs, but at first I named them and based on size I could pretty much tell them apart. And they Amelia was always the boss, so could tell that way.

Back
Top Bottom