How do you keep pedators away from ducks?

I had problems with hawks snatching up my young ducks. So I am going to string some old CD's over their pen that will "twirl" around and hopefully keep the hawks away.

I love to watch hawks. They are magnificent birds. I just don't want them eating my birds I work to hard to raise.
wink.png

Last edited:
Hello all, I am hoping that someone from southeast Georgia will read this and help. I have an orphaned baby muscovy duck that I am looking for a home for. It is about 4-5 weeks old now and doing well. I do not have the proper facilities to raise this friendly little duck. I live on the Islands outside of Savannah. Please reply if you can help or if you know of someone that can. Thank you.

~SunSetsWest~ :

I have a 15' x 40' pen, it just has bird netting on top to keep the winged predators out but I ran 3 strands of continuous current hotwire, top, middle and bottom, it will light up anything that comes looking for a meal, I haven't had anything even try to get past it...
I love hotwire!!

two possible problems with hotwires 1. power failures, I lost one flock that way, went to battery backup. 2 had a coyote bite the hotwire, he died from it, but shorted out the system so the rest of his pack wiped out a second flock.
Hotwire is even more effective if the preditors actually try to get past it, nothing like the pain of getting shocked to teach that it is a good area to stay away from!​

The other problem we are having with our baby duck is that all he wants to eat are bugs and worms, we tried chick feed, ground up corn, seeds , etc. The little duck only wants BUGS!! Is there something else I should be trying?
sad.png

Sorry, didn't want to offend anyone. I will certainly do that. I am new to this and did not know that the DUCK section was not the place to post about ducks. Thanks

I am confused, This is the "other backyard poultry" DUCK section ...isn't it? I am very sory and do not want to come off as factitious, because I am not. I just do not see where else it would help to list my posting...................

No, no, no , no. This is a place to ask questions and post stories, etc. about ducks. The Buy Sell Trade section for other poultry, is the place to post wanted and for sale ads for waterfowl, turkeys, quail, and guineas.

Johnnys
Definately do post about ducks on this forum, but it's good not to change the topic on someone else's thread, so it would be best to post your question about what that duckling eats as a new topic.
(BTW I would consider it to be a good thing if he eats a lot of bugs, very healthy and it saves feed.)

Thank you, I appreciate it. I just didn't know where to turn and am looking for help from people such as both of you that know what you are doing. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom