How do you make french toast?

Quote:
I don't measure either. Very easy and fast to make.

1 egg does about a piece of bread and a half.

Each person usually has two pieces of french toast.

egg
milk about 1 tblsp each egg (I have used egg nog when in season and it is really good)
salt (just a dash)
vanilla (just a splash)
cinnamon ( I like good dose of this too)

I whisk it all together and dip bread in quickly on each side....don't let it soak too much liquid up cause it will and fast. It may not cook through fast enough if at all. I don't like mushy french toast.

Yes use butter in skillet. You don't want you pan too hot either cause it will burn your butter. You can use pam or like. I have NOT made this with oil. I don't think I would ever either.

I always learned pancakes hot skillet no butter and french toast is the opposite.

Of course when done frying put whatever you would like, syrup and peanut butter is really good, fruit and powdered sugar w/ a scoop of whip cream is good too. Enjoy!

Last edited:
When I happened to run out of cinnamon one day and found that pumpkin pie spice is good also. Don't use as much as cinnamon because it can be overpowering.

Nutmeg can do in a pinch if you like them.

Nothing better than the way Alton Brown makes it ! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/index.html

Stale
( left out overnight) day old bread , custard mix, yum !~

But if you have the time and ingredients, this one is TOTALLY worth it !!!!!
Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup with a praline topping , oh my gawd !
droolin.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe2/index.html

Quote:
Hey that would be good in the eggnog too....thanks for the idea. I love egg nog....it is hard for me to put it all in my stomach when I am the only one that really likes it and it is expensive so I don't want to waste it.

I wonder what egg nog recipes are out there....another thread I guess.

Last edited:
In a bowl mix egg, whole milk, a tiny bit of vanilla and maybe a splash of Gran Mariner. Soak bread for 30 seconds. Cook one side and resoak. While in pan sprinkle with cinnamon / sugar. I cook in butter.

This is the best French Toast EVAH!

Serve with warm syrup.

Last edited:
eggs
1/4 cup half and half per egg
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar per egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla per egg

Whip it up, slice the bread really thick, soak up as much goo as the bread will hold and cook it slowly on a buttered griddle until the middle is set and the toast is brown. Dust with powdered sugar and eat with some kind of fruit on the side. Strawberries or Blueberries are best.

My French Toast Recipe

1 loaf day old italian or french bread, sliced in 1.25 inch pieces
8 eggs
1 1/4 cup half n half
3 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. pure vanilla extract
butter for griddle or pan

mix all ingredients, except bread. allow bread to sit slice for an hour or so before soaking. Soak bread well-- about 10-15 seconds perside. Have pan on a med-high setting, melt butter and place bread in pan until the sides are evenly browned and the custard coating becomes shiny. Place in a low oven to keep warm. enjoy with fruit, powdered sugar, or whatever you like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom