How do you reduce swelling from flystrike?

Michigan Chicken

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
Older chicken with tumor like swelling, mainly due to flystrike, I think. Below vent. I have been soaking in salt water, applying vetericin and flysx spray. She is eating and seems comfortable, but this swelling needs to go down.

Attachments

• 20210815_150318.jpg
    20210815_150318.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210816_105018.jpg
    20210816_105018.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 9
Try applying honey.
Honey can be a natural anti bacterial, but if your problem is flystrike, honey is going to attract more flies. And, I am using vetericin as an antibiotic. What would specifically reduce inflammation? Has anyone given a chicken aspirin ? How much? What was the result?

She has lost her outer layer of skin (epidermis) due to maggot damage.
What you are seeing is probably a fat pad behind the thicker inner layer (dermis). Could possibly be a mass (salpingitis?), tumor or indication of a reproductive disorder - often hens with reproductive disorders have distended abdomens like that- it's just that skin and feathers hide the bulge..

Hard to know IF that will go down. All you can due is continue treating her like you are.

I would not give Aspirin - you mention she seems comfortable, so I see no benefit of it.

Honey can be used on wounds, raw honey works well, it can be messy like ointments - but yes - you would want to keep the patient inside where Flies can't get on the wound. Flies getting on a wound, compromised tissue or on irritated skin with poop is generally how Fly Strike begins.

You can try keeping it moist with triple antibiotic ointment instead of just the Vetericyn spray to see if that helps.

What you are seeing is probably a fat pad behind the thicker inner layer (dermis). Could possibly be a mass (salpingitis?), tumor or indication of a reproductive disorder - often hens with reproductive disorders have distended abdomens like that- it's just that skin and feathers hide the bulge..

Hard to know IF that will go down. All you can due is continue treating her like you are.

I would not give Aspirin - you mention she seems comfortable, so I see no benefit of it.

Honey can be used on wounds, raw honey works well, it can be messy like ointments - but yes - you would want to keep the patient inside where Flies can't get on the wound. Flies getting on a wound, compromised tissue or on irritated skin with poop is generally how Fly Strike begins.

You can try keeping it moist with triple antibiotic ointment instead of just the Vetericyn spray to see if that helps.

Some more pictures from the side. I think it has gotten larger.

Attachments

• 20210816_165359.jpg
    20210816_165359.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210816_165351.jpg
    20210816_165351.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210816_165345.jpg
    20210816_165345.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 7
In another post, somebody autopsied something that looked just like this. Rotten and stinking inside. If she doesn't die in a few days, I am going to have to kill her.

just saw a post from another person, whose chicken had the same thing, exactly. They said the tumor hardened and eventually separated and fell off!

4th morning, hen still looking lively, eating well, normal droppings. I think that tumor must be an immune response to wall off the maggot infested area, isolate it in a cyst, and allow the area behind it to form a new epidermis. If you look at the chicken from the front, you would never know anything was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom