How do you store your duck eggs?

scarter

Songster
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Roberts, WI
We never really thought about the duck eggs until they started getting bigger and now the chicken egg cartons won't close. That doesn't make it very easy to store in the fridge. What do you store yours in?

The fridge egg tray
gig.gif
idunno.gif

I put the date on them (so we use the oldest first) and put them in a bowl, I don't keep eggs in the fidge. If i give any away, I use chicken egg boxes and put a rubber band around it - only thing I could thing of!

Oh, dear. Can you at least use the bottom half? My runners lay eggs that are about the size of a medium to large chicken egg, so we haven't had that problem. Hmmmmmm.

Kind of a happy problem, yes, so many large eggs?

What about a nice bread serving basket? They are long and should be deep enough. Don't really need a lid, I don't think, and it looks nice.

So what you all are saying is that you have nice neat fridges!
big_smile.png
The problem in our house is three kids and messy parents on top of that. I was concerned since we get 10+ chicken eggs a day that they would get dumped or smoched before we could give some away or use them all. I'll just have to be careful. You know, I might try and find our old egg tray that belongs to the fridge. That might be tall enough. I use the cartons because they are shorter than that plastic egg tray that came with the refridgerator. It's a huge box with a lid and took way too much room up.

Thanks all. It is certainly a good problem to have and to top it the other runner started laying too! So now we're up to two eggs from the ducks. That's all though the other two are males.

Quote:
Are you planning on eating them or hatching them? Hatching eggs I usually mark the date layed, and leave on a kitchen counter. Eating eggs I usually mark the date laid and put in the refrigerator. In either case I usually use a regular carton WITH THE TOP CUT OFF! If you are planning to stack them you need to put the largest eggs in the four corners of the cartons to support the layer above without rocking. Good luck!

Hi
I put mine in the fridge and do egg maintenance on weekends. What every is left from the week get cracked and put in ziplock bags in the freezer for winter cooking when they are not laying. I also number the eggs because I'm curious how many I get each year. For three girls (1 yrs olds) I am up to 300 (not including the nest she sat on).

Back
Top Bottom