How does a rooster act to another bird of another flock

badboyk1n9

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
Well I wanna know how will a rooster of an existing flock react to a hen of an existing flock, I think he will chase her, but will he chase her to death? Or just add her to flock after a mate or so?

My hen Cave went to the rooster (Duke) of another flock to look for her sister. Duke welcomed her right in with no trouble. But it wasn't the rooster that was the concern. Cave got by Duke, and got greated by my hen Nalla. Nalla grawled at Cave and wasn't very welcoming...

My hen Cave went to the rooster (Duke) of another flock to look for her sister. Duke welcomed her right in with no trouble. But it wasn't the rooster that was the concern. Cave got by Duke, and got greated by my hen Nalla. Nalla grawled at Cave and wasn't very welcoming...
So roosters are good? Hens are bad right?

Had a frequent broody hen, large bird (Orpington cross possibly) that put up with nobody. Mature roosters had to work at it for 5-6 months to be allowed to mate. She whooped many a bird. Many a house cat. Even a momma cow.

That was funny!

Well I wanna know how will a rooster of an existing flock react to a hen of an existing flock, I think he will chase her, but will he chase her to death? Or just add her to flock after a mate or so?
Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics. You can't say for sure what will happen, it just works that way with living animals. I don't know how many other chickens you have, how you manage them, or how old they are. The more room they have in the coop and in the run the better.

What typically happens when a mature hen is introduced to a mature rooster is that they mate and she is part of his flock. That may involve a little chasing or it may not. Usually this is pretty peaceful. Usually, unless you consider normal chicken mating to be violent and brutal. If either one or both are immature it can still be pretty peaceful but often it is not. It can be hard watching them when they are going through puberty. Age and maturity is a pretty big factor. Sometimes you get a strong-willed hen or a weak-willed rooster or both. That can lead to issues. It is also possible that the rooster will consider her an intruder and try to run her away from his flock. That is not a normal reaction but it can happen. That's why you have to be prepared for anything.

If a new mature hen is added to a flock that includes mature hens they have to sort out the pecking order between the hens. Sometimes this goes so smoothly you don't even notice it. Sometimes it can get pretty violent. A mature rooster may break up fights to keep peace in his flock, sometimes he ignores it and lets the hens work it out. If the new one is an immature pullet or the existing flock are immature pullets the dynamics will probably be different. Maturity matters.

I don't know anything about your flock make-up, what your facilities look like, or how you manage them. My main suggestion is to try it when you can observe and base your actions on what you see. Sometimes it can be that easy, sometimes you have to take a different approach. I like to try the easy way first.

Back
Top Bottom