How does one protect a large flock of free rangers?

Quote:
Well I had two labs one passed in April, they are hunting dogs, we have around 30 chickens, we get the occasional fly over hawk, a cat appearing, we been very lucky to not have lost any. I have seen netting used for 100's of chickens. It is easier for us to just to let the chickens free-range for us 24/7 since we have never had a lost. They sleep when and where ever they like.

mine aren't allowed out after dark- It isn't safe here. and form time to time we have hawks too so I would say- fencing at a minimum. put them up at night. and good luck.You have been lucky so far.

I agree with the LGD solution. I have 2, a lab/pyrenes mix and a lab/border collie mix. They even keep the hawks and other large birds from trying it on....I have seen them barking and jumping up into the air at hawks and low-flying buzzards and crows! The youngest has a large coon and a very large river rat to his credit....and he is contained within an electric system! They definitely earn their keep and I have trained them to protect, not eat, the chickens. I have left them, on numerous occasions, on duty for 3-4 days and nights, alone with the free rangers. They are on duty while we are here, 24/7. With the right dogs, it can be done. The hens always go in the henhouse each night and the dogs sleep next door to the entry way.

Good luck!!!
smile.png

Mine are total free range around our farm and woods but we too have a great couple of LGDs - a GSD (German Shepherd) and a mutt plus just recently got a GSD puppy that is in LGD training. I can't say that I actually "trained" my shepherd, Rex, he just instictively knew the new baby chicks I got were part of the family and slept by their box and has been doing so with each new batch of hatchlings and stays outside with them and also chases off hawks. He's a might sky watcher and you should see him taking off and jumping up and barking at the hawks and buzzards that fly over "his" flock. Got the shepherd puppy to help him with guarding the thousands of acres around our property. He makes sure all predators stay in the woods and not on our farm.

My birds have 50 acres to free range on..though they typically stay on the couple acres nearest their pens. They go in their coops at night and i shut them in to help protect them but my lgds are my best defense against predators. Since they've been on duty ive yet to lose a bird.

Wow, this is encouraging. I would LOVE an excuse to get a big ole guard dog or two.
smile.png
For you folks that free range, do you have harsh winters? What do your birds do? we are zone 4. It is horrible in jan, feb, march. I am going to assume our birdies won't want to be out a whole lot in the winter.

Gosh, we have a slew of evil and not so evil predators around our farm. Hawks, owls, bald eagles, fisher, coyote, fox, weasals, racoon......

Ruth, your shepard sounds precious.

thanks everyone!
frow.gif

Quote:
Which ones are evil? They're just higher on the food chain (really a web) than chickens are.

Oh I'm just being silly. I understand that.....although the fishers are pretty darn uncute and uncuddly.
smile.png

I think I would have caught that normally. Guess I'm feeling a little thin skinned today. Take a look at one of the fisher's smaller cousing, the pine marten. They're cute.

Back
Top Bottom